Camps Coordinator – Summer Camps
Harbourfront Centre is a leader in providing internationally renowned artistic, educational and recreational programming across a beautiful 10-acre campus at the heart of Toronto’s waterfront. For more than 45 years, Harbourfront Centre has celebrated the best in Canadian culture and the rich mosaic of cultures from around the world, presenting thousands of events annually from music festivals to contemporary dance, to craft and design, to visual arts and more. Welcoming visitors year-round, there is something for everyone at Harbourfront Centre!
Currently, exciting seasonal employment opportunities exist in Harbourfront Centre Camps, one of Toronto’s largest, most diverse and creative day camps.
Position Title: Camps Coordinator
Department: Recreational Learning
Type of Employment: Seasonal, Contract
Duration: May-September 2022 (Part-time training starting in May 2022 / Camps: July 4-September 2, 2022) *dates subject to change
Hours: Monday to Friday, 35 hrs per week (training may be assigned on weekends)
Rate of Pay: $21 per hour
Working under the direction of Assistant Manager – Recreational Learning, the Camps Coordinator supports all processes related to the successful operation of camp programs. The Camps Coordinator is responsible for the execution of beginning and end-of-day procedures, end-of-session Open Houses, camp-wide activities, weekly staff meetings, staff training and supply management. The Camps Coordinator will provide customer service to all participants in our programs via phone, email, and face-to-face communication, and position themselves as the senior step in conflict resolution. As a resource to new and returning staff, candidates should have experience in a day or overnight camp setting. Candidates should also have the ability to face each day with a positive attitude and understand that shifting priorities require a flexible approach to daily tasks.
- Assist in training, supervising and evaluating Supervisors, Program Facilitators and Counsellors.
- Train, supervise and evaluate Counsellor-in-Training (CIT)/Instructor-in-Training (IIT) Facilitator.
- Oversee Counsellor-in-Training (CIT) program.
- Keep supply inventories up to date and in good order, communicating to Assistant Manager when supplies are running low.
- Plan, prepare and oversee camp-wide activities for weekly theme days.
- Oversee beginning and end-of-day procedures.
- Oversee and help facilitate end-of-session Open House performances/displays.
- Complete administrative duties such as staff evaluations, incident reports, etc.
- Plan and facilitate weekly staff meetings.
- Provide superior customer service.
- Take ownership of staff and camper safety during an emergency procedure.
- Support the professional growth of staff, co-op students and/or volunteers.
- Other duties as required.
Skills & Requirements
- Previous supervisor experience.
- Day or overnight camp experience.
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of daily tasks.
- Ability to lead training and camp activities.
- Ability to supervise a staff team (collaborate, resolve conflict, provide feedback/coaching, etc.).
- Ability to remain organized throughout the work day (beginning and end-of-day procedures, end-of-session Open Houses, staff evaluations, incident reports, etc.).
- Ability to bring a positive attitude and enthusiasm to each day.
- Must enjoy working with children and youth.
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification is required.
- A Criminal Background Check (with Vulnerable Sector Screening) is required.
- Harbourfront Centre recognizes its heightened duty to protect employees from health and safety risks during the current pandemic. Therefore, an offer of employment shall be conditional upon proof of full Covid-19 vaccination with a vaccine series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization.
- Post-secondary education or training as related to the position is desirable.
- Valid G-Class driver’s licence is desirable.
- Standing for prolonged periods of time.
- Some exposure to inclement weather conditions during outdoor and offsite programs.
- Some exposure to rigorous physical activity during camp-wide activities.
We’re friendly, welcoming and inclusive, with an experimental attitude that thrives on collaboration.
To achieve our bold ambition we empower and support imaginative risk and we always try to learn from our mistakes.
We are committed to excellence in all we do, ensuring every visitor encounter is safe, memorable and enriching.
We value and respect each other and all our visitors, celebrating difference and striving to realise potential.
Harbourfront Centre’s Camps team is committed to advancing our efforts in equity, diversity and inclusion. We are passionate about learning and supporting participants of all ages and abilities in their growth and development. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply–regardless of race, ancestry, ethnic origin, place of origin, colour, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, creed, citizenship, or disability. We strive for a barrier free recruitment process and as such, encourage applicants to request accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.
Qualified applicants are invited to send a current resume and cover letter to email@example.com by March 31, 2022. Please quote Camps Coordinator in the subject line of your application. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
Our staff team is one of the things that makes our Camps programs so unique. If you’re looking for new experiences and opportunities for personal and professional growth, this is the place for you! We are dedicated to building a future that better serves our communities—a diverse staff team is essential in achieving this goal. When submitting your application, we encourage applicants to clearly self-identify in your cover letter if you are a member of an equity-seeking group. We genuinely look forward to receiving your application!