Camper Support Specialist
Tim Hortons Foundation Camps help youth from underserved communities achieve their full potential through multi-year, overnight camp experiences. Whether at camp or back home in their communities between visits—our youth work to build social, emotional, leadership and innovation skills and behaviours like volunteerism and motivation to learn so they become civically and academically engaged, and successfully transition to adulthood.
At Tims Camps, we are catalysts for good—helping our youth participants and teammates be the best they can be, developing personal and career growth. We empower young people with skills to open doors to their future. That is our North Star and, together, we help shape leaders that build stronger communities.
We’re looking for a…
Camper Support Specialist
The Camper Support Specialist (CSS) is responsible for supporting camp staff in meeting the mental health, social, emotional, and behavioral needs of their campers and providing direct support to campers. They will work closely with other members of the wellness team, camp management, camp staff, and parents/guardians, as needed.
This role will be based onsite at our Tim Horton Onondaga Farms location in St. George, ON.
June 10, 2024 – August 19, 2024
What would you be doing?
- Deliver training on areas such as mental health, positive behavior management, bullying, disclosures, as well as appropriate responses to situations that may occur at camp
- Inspiring young people to discover their strengths, challenge limits, and build resilience and leadership capacity in a safe and supportive environment
- Provide on-going coaching and support to camp staff as it relates to meeting camper mental, behavioral, social, and emotional needs
- Ensure proper response, follow-through and debrief on situations arising with campers
- Handle cases of suspected abuse and neglect in line with Tim Camps Wellness Standards
- Support campers and families by making referrals to support services in their home communities
- Work collaboratively and communicate with camper families, the camp management team, wellness team and Camper Support Manager to meet the best interests of the camper
- Establish relationships with youth that reflect respect, trust, and empathy
- Join and support campers participating in program activities
- Practice and coach staff through strengths-based individual and group behaviour management strategies
- Model healthy choices and emotional maturity
- Be challenged physically and mentally as you live in an overnight camp setting for 10-day sessions, with 3 days of break in between
- Have the opportunity to experience personal growth alongside the campers you are supporting
Does this sound like you?
- A graduate of a post-secondary Social Work, Social Service Work or Child and Youth Work program
- Experienced at working with youth aged 11 – 17 in a professional mental health setting
- Crisis management experience is considered to be an asset
- Understanding and sensitive to the challenges faced by youth from low-income homes
- Skilled in building interpersonal skills, including the ability to influence positive decision-making, listen, manage conflict, and practice sensitivity and compassion
- Certified in Standard First Aid + CPR (adult, child, infant) with AED, or are willing to obtain
- Able to provide an acceptable criminal background check
- Ability to live on-site for an extended period of time and work flexible hours
Note: Licensed or Registered Social Workers, Social Service Workers and Child & Youth Workers preferred due to coverage on Tim Camps liability insurance policy. Unlicensed or Unregistered Social Workers, Social Service Workers and Child and Youth Workers, or equivalent, have restrictions on how they carry out their work (i.e., cannot be left alone or out of sight of other staff members when supporting campers).
Benefits of working with us
- Accommodation and meals are included for the duration of the contract
- Bonus when you refer employees
- Contract completion bonus
- Bonus for staff working on our French-speaking site
- Have a positive impact on the lives of young people
- Opportunity to build lasting friendships with other staff
To learn more about the impact of the experience you will take part in, watch this short video
Please apply here: https://grnh.se/c5fb7ed52us
Commitment to Equity, Diversity & Inclusion
Tim Hortons® Foundation Camps (THFC) is committed to a fair and inclusive work environment, and seek talent with diversity of life experiences and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer that hires talent regardless of age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, status as a protected veteran or any other legally protected grounds and will not discriminate on these bases.
If you have special accessibility requirements that need to be considered during the recruitment process, please let us know by emailing us at email@example.com and a member of our HR team will get back to you. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.