Camper Support Specialist
Camp Quality: Camper Support Specialist
Launch into Adventure this Summer at Camp Quality! 🚀🏕️
Are you ready to take-off on a journey that’s out of this world! Are you a person that is fuelled by a passion for spreading joy and making a cosmic impact? If so, we’ve got an opportunity that will take you on a grand adventure across Alberta, Manitoba and Ontario this summer as our Camper Support Specialist! Picture this: a summer filled with laughter, friendship, and making a difference. As a key member of our summer travel team, your mission is to be the gravitational force that ensures every camper’s experience is not only stellar but supernova-level AWESOME! You’ll be responsible for supporting camper behavioural needs and emotions, creating a galaxy of inclusion where they can shine like stars! Working hand-in-hand with our volunteer companions, you’ll be a captain of collaboration, equipping them with the strategies they need to support their campers.
So, are you ready to launch into a summer of purpose fun and friendship? If you’re answer is a resounding ‘Interstellar-ly YES!’, then set your coordinates to warp speed and apply today!
Start Date: May 6, 2024
End Date: August 30, 2024
Rate: $ 20/hr/ 40 hours a week.
Seasonal full-time position
Location: Based in Thunder Bay, ON. With travel across Ontario, Manitoba and Alberta.
Work schedule: Will include weekdays and weekends/holidays as needed to support camp programs, events and other camp activities.
Nature & Scope
Camp Quality Canada supports children and families affected by cancer through camp programs. The Camper Support Specialist, works to provide support to campers with physical, behavioural or psychosocial needs, ensuring the inclusion and well-being of every camper. They work collaboratively with volunteer companions to equip them with effective strategies to engage and assist campers. They help to foster an environment where volunteers feel confident in their ability to contribute to a supportive and inclusive camp environment. This role involves remote and in-person work. The position directly reports to the Senior Director of Programs. Room, board and travel expenses are covered during travel to camp.
Remote Office (May 6 – June 27, 2024)
- Collaborate with Camp Directors to identify the specific needs of campers.
- Liaise with families to gather essential information about campers and establish open lines of communication.
- Develop individualized support plans for each camper, incorporating strategies to ensure a positive camp experience.
- Create tools and kits designed to support positive behaviours at camp.
- Attend 1 in-person volunteer training.
- Complete Camp Quality training as required.
Summer Camp (June 28 – August 30, 2024):
- Work collaboratively with the regional Camp Organizing Committee.
- Provide on-site support to implement individualized plans for campers.
- Conduct regular check-ins with support campers/volunteers to address any concerns and make adjustments as needed.
- Offer guidance to volunteers in effectively engaging and supporting campers.
- Liaise with families as needed to provide updates.
- Provide high quality care that meets the standards of Camp Quality and the Camping Associations in each province and the Children’s Oncology Camping Association.
- Understand, participate in and adhere to the Camp Quality Canada policies, procedures and training.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience working with youth in a recreation setting.
- Experience in recreational programs or activities focused on supporting children with disabilities, behavioral and psychosocial needs.
- Familiarity with different ways to support behaviour challenges.
- TCI or NVCI certification (asset).
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Patience, empathy and a positive attitude.
- Administrative and organizational skills
- Role model for children and youth
- A clear and current criminal record check – vulnerable sector screening issued for Camp Quality Canada. (CRC-VSS)
- Flexibility with working days, evenings and weekends.
- Valid Driver’s License (preferred)
How to Apply
Applicants are asked to submit a copy of their most recent resume, listing qualifications and experience. Please reference the job title in your subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We’re an equal opportunity organization
Inclusion is at the heart of what we do at camp. Camp Quality works to create inclusive spaces and programs for campers, volunteers and staff – free of discrimination based on age, race, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
Camp Quality Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
For more information about Camp Quality Canada, please visit www.campquality.org