Number of Positions: 2
Reports To: Manager of Camp Operations/Health Care Director
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Location: Camp Merrywood (Perth, ON); Camp Woodeden (London, ON)
Employment Dates: Part-time, flexible. Merrywood June 21, 2022 – August 30, 2022; Woodeden June 21, 2022 – August 8, 2022.
Reporting directly to the Manager of Camp Operations (MCO), the Camp Therapist is responsible for providing social, emotional, and mental health support for campers and staff. The Camp Therapist will work closely with the Health Care Team in identifying campers and staff who could benefit from additional support, meeting with individuals and groups and, when necessary, assisting staff in obtaining specific supports.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Assist with camp adjustment issues and the separation anxieties of camp staff and the campers.
- Provide support to staff as they deal with camper behavior problems such as aggression, teasing, or bullying.
- Be alert to issues that may arise from pre-existing family situations such as a recent death, divorce or serious illness in the family. Work with counseling staff as appropriate.
- Work closely with the camp Health Center staff to monitor the overlap of the physical and emotional wellbeing of the camp staff and campers.
- Observe groups and give feedback on group dynamics & brainstorm with staff possible interventions.
- Provide emotional support to staff as they deal with personal issues & provide assistance in mediating staff conflicts, monitor staff morale.
- Keep the Manager of Camp Operations & Health Care Director informed of all appropriate situations and issues as they arise through both informal daily conversations and formal documentation.
- Touch base with the Manager of Camp Operations & Health Care Director to discuss any camp staff or camper issues.
- Report any concerns to the Children’s Aid Society or law enforcement as necessary.
- Keep careful documentation of all interactions between camp staff and campers.
- Adhere to and support all camp policies, procedures and guidelines as detailed in the Camp Resource Manual.
Physical Aspects of the Job
- Easter Seals summer camps are fully accessible.
- Able to work in a flexible workspace.
Post-secondary education in a related field, preferably BSW, MSW or equivalent required. Camp experience an asset.
- Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
- It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
- This is a live out position, with flexible work hours.
How to Apply: Please complete our online application form, which can be found at https://www.eastersealscamps.org/staff/positions
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.