Camp Specialist, Mountain Biking (Contract)
Evergreen is currently seeking to add mountain biking enthusiasts to its team of Camp Specialists. This group of specialists are integral to the safe operations of Evergreen’s Bike Ventures program, ensuring a challenging and supportive environment for participants. Their talents and interests are honed to the realities of the trail and shop; each relied on for their focused skills and experience creating inclusive spaces for skills development and active transportation.
Our Camp Specialists, Mountain Biking contribute to the overall success of Evergreen Adventure Camp and support a culture of active play and healthy risk taking among Bike Ventures campers.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
Camp Specialists, Mountain Biking are responsible for delivering Bike Ventures Camp programs focused on connecting youth, ages 8-14, to the outdoors and exploring the Don Valley Ravine Trail Network by mountain bike. They lead mountain biking skills sessions, trail rides, mechanical workshops, and nature play ensuring that each camper grows in confidence on-road, on-trail and in-shop, in support of our OCA accredited Bike Ventures Camp that serves approximately 10 campers per week.
These Specialists play a key role in on-the-ground program delivery, utilizing their experience leading trail rides and maintaining bicycles to help our program come alive. They are responsible for the care and safety of a group of up to 10 campers per week and thrive in a challenging physical environment. These Specialists provide consistent, creative support to campers and the broader camp team and are mature team-players, and risk managers, who believe in the power and importance of active exploration.
- Creatively guide a group of 10 campers, ages 8-14, with a focus on leading trail rides and skills clinics, facilitating outdoor experiential play, and leading group games;
- Ensure proper safety and communication via two-way radio, especially when off-site;
- Communicate safety and health regulations to program participants and ensure they understand them;
- Facilitate daily program area safety checks, including trail conditions;
- Maintain a high degree of risk management and vigilance at all times and demonstrate confidence in dealing with offsite accidents and injuries;
- Assume duties as a Camp Counsellor as required;
- Help monitor and engage campers during lunch, snack and extended care programs;
- Provide mentorship, feedback and guidance to volunteers (Assistant Camp Counsellors);
- Monitor and maintain program spaces and materials, identifying and documenting any concerns with supervisor;
- Participate in end of day reflections and provide feedback and support to the rest of the camp team;
- Document any behavioural incidents, injuries or accidents, and report to Director/Manager in a timely way;
- Communicate effectively with parents/guardians;
- Participate in pre-camp training in June, and reviewing all safety and protocol documents;
- Act as a positive role model and leader;
- Contribute to positive workplace culture and great internal communication;
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection.
You excel in the following areas:
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Demonstrate passion and excitement over work. Display a can-do attitude.
You have the following qualifications:
- Mountain biking skills, including navigating multiuse trails, single track, obstacle navigation and trailside repairs
- 1-2 years’ experience working in a camp or childcare setting
- University or college degree/diploma (or equivalent professional/lived experience), in-progress or completed
- Basic bike repair and maintenance expertise
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’, or willingness to obtain
- Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check, or willingness to obtain
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Experience with Nature Connection Core Routines or Outdoor Experiential Education an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting the growth of a culture of nature connection in children and young people
- Can-Bike certification, an asset
- Knowledge and familiarity of the Don Valley and Toronto Bike Trails, an asset
- Experience teaching children to cycle or build cycling skills, an asset
- Wilderness First Aid or experience leading backcountry trips, an asset
- This position may be funded by Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ), which requires candidates be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment. Meeting these criteria considered an asset.
- Supervised by Program Manager
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works Campus in Toronto and requires on the ground presence
- Working outdoors in inclement weather/hot weather
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Able to lift weight in excess of 20 pounds
- Cycling for up to 6 hours per day
- Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: At Evergreen we are committed to doing what we can to keep our employees, volunteers, and visitors safe and healthy during the current pandemic. We believe that an important part of this effort is to ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For more information, please see our COVID-19 Guide.
- Full time, contract (mid-June to end of August)
- Hourly rate: $18.00
Application Close Date: February 28, 2023. Applications will be screened on a rolling basis and applicants may be contacted before the application close date.
To apply, visit our Career Page | Camp Specialist, Mountain Biking (Contract)
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*