Camp Specialist, Inclusion Program
Evergreen is currently seeking to add to its team of Camp Specialists, Inclusion Program. This group of individuals are the inclusion content experts that weave the spirit of belonging into all aspects of Evergreen’s Adventure Camp program, ensuring an inclusive, welcoming and experiential environment for all participants.
Our Camp Specialists, Inclusion Program contribute to the overall success of Evergreen Adventure Camp and support a culture of inclusion and nature connection among campers and the camp community.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
Camp Specialists, Inclusion Program are responsible for specialty functions that range from program development and delivery for campers with special needs to providing integration support and training counsellors in designing inclusive program activations, all in support of our OCA accredited Evergreen Adventure Camp program that serves approximately 160 campers per week.
Camp Specialists, Inclusion Program play a key role in on-the-ground program delivery, utilizing their experience working with children with special needs and/or at risk youth to help our programs come alive. Camp Specialists, Inclusion are responsible for creating a safe and supportive environment for campers with special needs. They are responsible for participant safety, integration and experience in all programming.
Camp Specialists, Inclusion Program thrive in a challenging one-on-one setting and provide compassionate, consistent, creative support to campers with special needs and the broader camp team; they are self-motivated, mature team-players with strong crisis intervention, behavioural management and de-escalation toolkits.
- Responsible for the care, supervision and integration of campers with special needs, ensuring their inclusion in all possible programs or providing one-on-one activities when appropriate
- Facilitate interactions with other campers, when necessary
- Work in cooperation with other Counsellors to ensure a positive camp experience for all campers
- Maintain all information regarding camper confidentiality
- Work with Camp Director and Assistant Camp Director to plan camper experience
- Maintain communication with camper’s family prior to camp session and during camp session
- Assume duties as a Camp Counsellor as required
- Communicate safety and health regulations to program participants and ensure they understand them
- Help monitor and engage campers during lunch, snack and extended care programs
- Provide mentorship, feedback and guidance to new staff and volunteers (Assistant Camp Counsellors)
- Monitor and maintain program spaces and materials, identifying and documenting any concerns with supervisor
- Participate in end of day reflections and provide feedback and support to the rest of the camp team
- Document any behavioural incidents, injuries or accidents, and report to Director/Manager in a timely way
- Communicate effectively with parents/guardians
- Participate in pre-camp training in June, including reading the Staff Handbook
- Act as a positive role model and leader
- Contribute to positive workplace culture and great internal communication
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection
You excel in the following areas:
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Demonstrate passion and excitement over work. Display a can-do attitude.
You have the following qualifications:
- 1-2 years’ experience working with children with special needs;
- 1-2 years’ experience working in a camp setting;
- Background in Child and Youth Work, Counseling/Therapy, Social Work, or similar an asset
- Crisis intervention, behavioural management and de-escalation training an asset
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’, or willingness to obtain
- Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check or willingness to obtain
- Experience with Nature Connection Core Routines or Outdoor Experiential Education an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting the growth of a culture of nature connection in children and young people
- OCT certified teachers, teacher candidates strongly encouraged to apply
- Wilderness First Aid or experience leading backcountry trips an asset
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- This position may be funded by Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ), which requires candidates be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment. Meeting these criteria considered an asset.
- Supervised by Sr. Program Manager
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works Campus in Toronto and requires on the ground presence
- Working outdoors in inclement weather
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Able to lift weight in excess of 20 pounds
- Full time, contract (mid-June to end of August)
- Hourly rate: $18.00
Application Close Date: March 6, 2022. Applications will be screened on a rolling basis and applicants may be contacted before the application close date. *Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*