Camp Site Director
Do you enjoy creating an impactful summer camp experience for children and youth in our community? If so, the YMCA of Oakville is the place for you! Become a part of something bigger!
The Camp Site Director will provide an overall supervision to the day camp programs ensuring that all children and youth have a safe, and a positive experience. You will ensure the successful day to day operations of camp and adheres to all YMCA of Oakville Summer Camp best practices, procedures, and policies, including Child Protection. This position reports to the Senior Camp Director.
Valens – Valens is a nature lover’s paradise. This wonderful conservation area is tucked away near Flamborough, far from the noise and bustle of the city. With plenty of opportunities to hike, canoe or swim in the lake, campers have new experiences and build memories that last a lifetime. The unique man-made lake features a serene natural environment, with sandy beach, boardwalk trail system and surrounding forest.
Bronte Creek Provincial Park – Located between Burlington and Oakville, YMCA Summer Camps at Bronte Creek Provincial Park offer children an opportunity to unwind in a natural environment close to home. Bronte features a unique lake-style swimming pool, a wonderful play barn, plenty of trails to explore, large shelters for rain days, and multiple open spaces.
St. Andrew’s School features a large indoor gymnasium, a multi-feature splash pad directly across the street, multiple sports fields, and outdoor courts for large outdoor games. We are even offering an art studio off-site. Perfect for summer activities!
Number of positions: 4
• Part time, approximately 5-20 hours /month from March to May 2023 to support with the hiring process
• Seasonal, Full-time hours 40hrs a week from June 1 – September 1, 2023; Monday- Friday between the hours of 7am-6pm
Salary & Benefits
• Rate of pay $16.48/hour
• Complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
• Opportunities for professional development and career growth
• Immediate enrollment in our EAP (employee Assistance program) which gives you and your immediate family members access to a variety of physical and mental health and wellness and resources
• Leadership: Assist in the recruitment, orientation, training, development, and management of day camp staff and volunteers. Provide ongoing support, coaching, training, and performance management for all counsellors and assistant directors. Manage volunteer hours tracking.
• Programming: Ensure the overall development, delivery and monitoring of a fun, program for all campers in all areas of camp including but not limited to forest adventures, pond studies, gardening, campfire, archery, canoeing, fishing, arts and crafts, dance and movement, sports and leadership games, camp wide events. Assist in guiding all camp staff, volunteers and CITs to develop a deeper understanding of leadership and supporting camp staff in programming and child guidance.
• Identify and respond to camper behaviour concerns using approved camp methods, and provide supervision, support, and mentoring to all camp staff in responding to camper behaviour.
• Customer Service and Communication: Provide excellent customer service to all campers, parents/guardians, and service providers as a representative of the YMCA. Establish and maintain strong working relationships with partners, service providers, camper families, onsite counsellors and assistant director, and members of the community. Demonstrate a strong support of and commitment to the mission, vision, and core values of the YMCA.
• Ensure that the camp site, including the building, wagons, program areas & washrooms, are kept clean, organized and free of litter.
• Communicate with the Site Director about participant and staff experiences and concerns.
• Attend staff meetings and in-service staff trainings
• Administration: Complete all necessary paperwork on time and with accuracy.
• Risk Management: Conduct ongoing day camp program quality assurance checks in line with the Ontario Camps Association. Ensure all staff are trained in emergency procedures and have considered the barriers that exist/accommodations that may need to be made for the needs of each camper in case of an emergency. Review and train all staff in COVID safety protocols.
• Inclusion: Act as the link between parents/guardians and Inclusion Counsellors. Ensure all necessary information in communicated between the two parties. Address all inclusion concerns as they arise. Travel from site to site to offer direct support to each Inclusion Counsellor. Provide additional inclusion related training, resources, and behaviour strategies to Inclusion Counsellors and other staff.
• Additional responsibilities: Additional duties may be added, and roles altered to support operations and measures to prevent the spread of Covid-19.
• Minimum High school diploma or post-secondary education
• A minimum of 2 years of working experience in a summer camp
• A minimum of 1 year of experience in camp leadership role
• Experience in planning and leading programs for children and youth
• Strong interpersonal communication skills and conflict resolution skills
• Strong teamwork and leadership skills
• Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’ (prior to the first day of camp)
• National Lifeguard Certificate an asset
• Must have a current and valid police record check with vulnerable sector screening
• Must provide proof of being fully vaccinated against covid-19 or provide valid proof of exemption on grounds that are protected under the Human Rights code
Working Conditions & Settings
• Physical activity involving active movement (ex. lifting, pulling, pushing; lifting up to 50lbs)
• Regular travel to various town sites and external meetings
• Regular exposure to stressful situations. May be exposed to some conflict and emotionally charged situations
• Must be able to work after hours or when deemed necessary to meet deadlines and deal with urgent situations
• General environment consists of various active camp locations, including indoor and outdoor spaces
• Must be able to accompany participants in the pool
• Must be prepared to travel on a bus with participants and supervise off-site for trips
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this position and meet all the above requirements, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
The YMCA of Oakville encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Due to a high volume of application, only selected candidates will be contacted.
This posting closes on January 31, 2023.
We at the YMCA of Oakville value the diversity of people and communities, and we are committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are an equal opportunity employer. If you are invited for an interview and require accommodation or have any questions about the interview process, please let us know.