Camp Senior Director
We are looking for an enthusiastic, values driven leader to join our summer camp team!
The Senior Camp Director will provide an overall supervision to the day camp program ensuring that all camp staff are successful in their roles. You will provide direct supervision to the site directors, ensuring ongoing coaching/ training, support, and evaluations to achieve summer camp goals. You will ensure the successful day to day operations of camp and adheres to all YMCA of Oakville Summer Camp best practices, procedures, and policies, including Child Protection. This position reports to the Supervisor, Camp & Community Programs.
Location: YMCA of Oakville, 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville
• Part time, approximately 5-20 hours /month from March to May 2023 to support with the hiring process
• Seasonal, Full-time hours 40hrs a week from June 1- September 1, 2023; Monday- Friday between the hours of 7am-6pm
Salary & Benefits
• Rate of pay $17.70/hour
• Complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
• Opportunities for professional development and career growth
• Immediate enrollment in our EAP (employee Assistance program) which gives you and your immediate family members access to a variety of physical and mental health and wellness and resources
• Leadership: Assist in the recruitment, orientation, training, development, and management of day camp staff and volunteers. Travel to each day camp location weekly to provide ongoing support, coaching, training, and performance management. Manage volunteer placement and volunteer hours tracking.
• Programming: Manage the development of day camp programming, resources, and training tools. Customer Service and Communication: Provide excellent customer service to all campers, parents/guardians, and service providers as a representative of the YMCA. Establish and maintain strong working relationships with partners, service providers, camper families, staff, volunteers, and members of the community. Demonstrate a strong support of and commitment to the mission, vision, and core values of the YMCA.
• Administration: Complete all necessary paperwork on time and with accuracy.
• Risk Management: Conduct ongoing day camp program quality assurance checks in line with the Ontario Camps Association. Ensure all staff are trained in emergency procedures and have considered the barriers that exist/accommodations that may need to be made for the needs of each camper in case of an emergency. Review and train all staff in COVID safety protocols.
• Inclusion: Ensure all necessary information is communicated between the two parties. Address all inclusion concerns as they arise.
• Additional responsibilities: Additional duties may be added, and roles altered to support camp operations.
• Post-secondary education in a related field (or in process)
• 2-3 years of experience working in a leadership capacity within a summer day camp or residential camp program
• Experience in planning and leading programs for children and youth and a strong knowledge of child development and needs
• Strong leadership, interpersonal and organizational skills, including close attention to detail
• Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
• Proficient in MS office
• Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’ (prior to the first day of camp)
• Must have a current and valid police record check with vulnerable sector screening
• Must provide proof of being fully vaccinated against covid-19 or provide valid proof of exemption on grounds that are protected under the Human Rights code
Working Conditions & Settings
• Physical activity involving active movement (ex. lifting, pulling, pushing; lifting up to 50lbs)
• Regular travel to various town sites and external meetings
• Regular exposure to stressful situations. May be exposed to some conflict and emotionally charged situations
• Must be able to work after hours or when deemed necessary to meet deadlines and deal with urgent situations
• General environment consists of various active camp locations, including indoor and outdoor spaces
• Must be able to accompany participants in the pool
• Must be prepared to travel on a bus with participants and supervise off-site for trips
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this position and meet all the above requirements should send their resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
The YMCA of Oakville encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Due to a high volume of application, only selected candidates will be contacted.
This posting closes on January 22, 2023.
We at the YMCA of Oakville value the diversity of people and communities, and we are committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are an equal opportunity employer. If you are invited for an interview and require accommodation or have any questions about the interview process, please let us know.