Camp Nurse – Camp Shomria – July 16 – 31, 2022
HEALTH TEAM – REGISTERED NURSE – July 16 – 31, 2022
(one week positions July 16 – 24 and July 24-31 possible)
The Camp Nurse is a vital part of the Camp Shomria health team, providing care to ~60 campers (aged 7-16) and ~25 youth staff (aged 17-25). The Camp Nurse works closely with the Health Team (Community Care and Health Coordinator), Leadership Team, and the Camp Director to ensure the health, safety, and wellbeing of the whole camp community.
This role is a seasonal summer full-time position (on site), with limited part-time hours before the summer camp session begins (onboarding and relationship building). During the summer session, the position will include time on, on call hours (including evenings and overnight), and flexible breaks. The Health Team, along with the Camp Director, will create the daily/weekly schedule collaboratively based on needs this summer. The Camp Nurse reports to the Camp Director.
Specific Responsibilities of the Camp Nurse include, but are not limited to:
- Dispense PRN and scheduled medications
- Liaise with off-site physician, social worker, and parents
- Provide basic first aid and advocate for transfer to ER when needed
- Advocate for children and young people’s health and safety as the licensed healthcare provider on-site
- Control spread of communicable illnesses through implementation of isolation, quarantine, education, symptom monitoring, and communication with off-site physician and Public Health, as needed
- Provide health and wellness education pertaining to: COVID-19 and other communicable disease prevention, sexual health, puberty, healthy relationships, tick safety, sun safety, hygiene, safe play, smoking cessation, self-harm, etc.
- Arrange first aid kits for off-site trips as needed
- Manage inventory of supplies and medications
- Ensure patients staying in the health centre (ie. daytime isolation or overnight stay) are appropriately cared for (eg. monitor health status, sanitize room before and after care, coordinate with counselors to ensure meals and belongings are coordinated)
- Learn and utilize camp information systems and document all patient encounters
- Being present at camp on-site for the full duration of your time at camp (housing is provided), weaving yourself into the fabric of the camp community (including but not limited to meal times, full camp gatherings each morning, etc.)
- Attending daily Leadership and Health Team meetings during the summer session. Discuss trends in the health of campers and staff with the Health and Leadership team
- Maintain a clean and orderly health centre operating in line with the policies and procedures of Camp Shomria
- Fulfilling responsibilities within the context and culture of a youth-led camp environment
- Additional responsibilities as required
- Registered nurse, eligible to practice in Ontario with up to date credentials
- Hold current Basic Life Support certification and have proven competence in providing first aid
- Prior camp experience in working with children and youth (ages 6-25) is preferred
○ Exceptional skill and capacity for engagement and relationship building with both children and their parents.
- Proven ability to plan, organize, and deliver health care and education
- Be a leader, self-starter, and strong collaborator
- Ability to accept guidance, constructive feedback, and support from teammates, including youth staff
- Must hold an active Ontario nursing license and membership in a regulatory college and up to date professional practice insurance
- Must provide clear vulnerable sector police background check
- Must be able to live on site at Camp Shomria for the duration of the contract (July 16 -July 31st)
Submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted. Candidates who are eligible for accommodations will be provided them upon request during the hiring process. References may be requested following the interview process.
Camp Shomria is committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants from all backgrounds to apply.
About Hashomer Hatzair Camp Shomria:
Hashomer Hatzair is a worldwide youth movement active in over 20 countries globally. Hashomer Hatzair has been at the forefront of youth-led experiential Jewish education and community building for over 100 years. Our focus is on equipping our youth with a strong Jewish cultural identity, a deep relationship and engagement with Israel that inspires them to build achvat amim (solidarity of nations), towards a just and lasting peace, and a strong community oriented toward social justice. Located on Otty Lake, in Perth, Ontario, Camp Shomria is the Hashomer Hatzair immersive summer home away from home, where lifelong friendships are made. Days are spent swimming, canoeing, playing sports and games, doing arts and crafts, tending our gardens, making music and drama, and so much more.