Camp Nurse (2.5 week position)
Camp Shalom is one of the oldest Jewish/Zionist camping experiences for 7-13 year olds in Canada! Priding itself on specialized activities, integrated informal Jewish programming, Kosher meals, and the best Zionist camping experience around, Camp Shalom celebrates doing what it does best – giving our campers the best summer experience of their lives. As a junior camp, Camp Shalom is able to cater the day-to-day activities, programming, and facilities to the appropriate age groups.
The Camp Shalom health centre is a clinic which is staffed by 1 full time nurse, 1 full time nursing student, an on-site medical director and rotating camp physicians who are responsible for all the health care needs of both staff and campers throughout the duration of the summer contract. Camp nursing is a unique and exciting environment for a new or experienced nurse to work in. Along with having the opportunity to participate in camp activities in a beautiful and scenic environment and being immersed in camp life and nature away from city life, the nurse has a unique, challenging and engaging role which is integral to the camp team. The nurse will build and solidify skills and knowledge in pediatric and adult medicine, infection prevention, control and public health, nursing administration, emergency medicine and health promotion and teaching, along with others.
- Dispensing daily medications
- Implement COVID policies, screening and assessments
- Review health forms of campers and staff, being aware of pertinent health information that may require special attention throughout the summer
- Rapid assessment, triage and intervention of acute and chronic health care needs of staff and campers
- Accurate and up to date documentation consistent with CNO standards for all care provided and communication with camper parents/guardians
- Respond to all first aid and emergency medical situations as needed
- Communicate promptly with camp physician, camp directors, external health care staff/hospital and parents as necessary
- Day to day operational management of the clinic (keeping inventory of all medical supplies, laundry, restocking, organizing camper and stock medications, etc.)
- Preparation of first aid kits for special camp activities, as well as maintenance of first aid kits/supplies throughout camp
- Infection prevention, control and response to outbreaks
- Participate in health education and training of staff
- Ensuring health care and safety policies and procedures are followed, providing reinforcement and health promotion throughout the summer
- Overnight call
- Registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario (temporary license is acceptable, RN and RPNs will be considered)
- Experience in pediatric and/or emergency medicine beneficial and preferred
- Experience working with children a strong asset
- Current first aid and CPR (HCP and AED) certifications
- Current professional liability insurance
- Strong physical assessment skills and knowledge of common first aid treatments
- Ability to think critically with strong problem solving skills
- Self directed and able to work effectively both autonomously and in a collaborative environment
- A love of nature and desire to work with children in an outdoor and rustic setting
Why work at camp?
- Competitive salary
- Room and board
- Beautiful Muskoka setting
- Fast paced and fun environment
- Make a big impact on the camp experience for all campers and staff
Dates of this contract position are August 1-19, 2022. This is a two-week opportunity.