Camp Maintenance Staff
Job Title: Camp Maintenance Staff
Location: Elmwood, Ontario – Between Hanover and Durham, Ontario
Dates of Employment: June 26th, 2022 – August 28, 2022 (additional part-time work available)
Salary: $5,400-$6120 plus room and board. (*Local candidates are not required to live on-site during the summer*)
Since 1971, Camp McGovern has been faithful to the original vision of providing underprivileged children and youth with the opportunity to go to overnight camp. At Camp McGovern we serve approximately 75 kids a week – all of whom are referred through Children’s Aid, United Way Agencies or Big Brothers Big Sisters. We are situated on 120 acres located along the beautiful Saugeen River, near Hanover, Ontario.
Our team of staff and volunteers put on an array of activities throughout the week including: Arts & Crafts, Nature Programs, River Rides, High/Low Ropes, Archery, Swimming, Canoeing, Campfires, Games and more. Camp McGovern is a welcoming, safe environment where Campers and Staff come from all walks of life and experiences. We value friendships, we foster leadership and we hold a shared passion for having FUN.
If you want to make an impactful difference while utilizing your experiences, education, leadership and skills, then this may be the perfect fit for you!
Camp McGovern is a registered charity seeking a Maintenance Worker for our summer camp operations. We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate who has a big heart, a positive attitude and a desire to be a leader in the camp community.
The Camp Maintenance Worker is in charge of executing routine upkeep, repair, and health and safety procedures to guarantee that Camp McGovern’s operations and programs run effectively and efficiently. This may include maintaining and sanitizing of shared spaces, cleaning restrooms, groundskeeping, and minor repair of program and maintenance equipment. As a result of summer camp’s changing nature, the Maintenance Staff may be tasked with additional responsibilities as the Director sees fit.
- Deliver a high standard of service to campers, staff and guests.
- Become familiar with the camp’s buildings, program areas, utilities and equipment.
- Assist the Camp Director in testing and maintaining the drinking water filtration system. Ensure that water is tested daily according to MOE safe drinking water regulations.
- Work with the Director to ensure that any site directives or standards of the camps regulating bodies (OCA, Public Health Unit, Fire, etc.) are carried out. This includes the inspection of fire safety equipment.
- Assist Asset Management in overseeing and performing daily and weekly site projects as assigned.
- Ensure that the Asset Management representative and the Director are kept well-informed about all maintenance and repairs to ensure that specific plans for larger-scale maintenance / repair requirements are in place.
- Work with the Director, Program Director and Program Coordinators to provide support to program themes and events.
- Work with the Camp Cook and Program Director in ensuring trip equipment is maintained and repaired as needed.
- Act as a resource for all staff regarding site equipment and maintenance, providing support, direction, and assistance.
- Responsible for taking the lead to ensure that all Health and Safety protocols related to COVID-19 sanitization are completed.
- Assist in training camp staff and campers on the camp COVID-19 reference manual and acting as a resource for following local, provincial and federal guidelines.
- Keep logs outlining daily projects and activities.
- Collaborate with the maintenance volunteers to ensure project goals are met.
- Maintain a clean and tidy work area. Ensure that all equipment is stored, secured, maintained and repaired as necessary.
- Ensure that all work is performed in the safest possible way to reduce the risk of injury to self, campers, staff and visitors.
- Participate in camp special events, cabin supervision, and other camp duties as required.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Valid First Aid/CPR-C.
- A satisfactory Police Records Check – including the Vulnerable Sector Screening (dated within 3 months of employment).
- Knowledge of standard maintenance equipment and tools.
- Experience in camp settings, landscape/maintenance, trades, formal education or related fields would be considered an asset.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this competition please complete an application HERE
Camp McGovern is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and provides accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. Should you require an accommodation please advise the HR Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. All accommodations will be handled confidentially.