Camp Maintenance & Cleaning Staff
The YMCA is a charity that has been helping Canadians improve their lives since the first Y opened in 1851. Y programs are offered at more than 1,700 locations across Canada and help more than 2.25 million people annually become healthier in spirit, mind, and body. The YMCA of the National Capital Region proudly serves people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities, and works to address critical social needs in our community. We are a leader and valued partner in creating a vibrant and healthy community where everyone belongs and can reach their full potential.
This position requires a commitment to the Y mission and core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, and inclusion, which form the foundation of all Y programs and services.
Working for the Y
Are you looking to use your skills and unique gifts to make a real difference in your community? The YMCA of the National Capital Region is a great workplace committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, where different backgrounds, experiences, and identities are appreciated and celebrated. The YMCA provides hundreds of employees with meaningful jobs and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and the health of our communities. We recognize the contributions of our staff through innovative practices, great benefits, and growth opportunities. Whether you are starting out in your career or a seasoned professional, you will find many exciting opportunities to achieve your personal and career goals. Some of the benefits of working for the Y include:
What we offer
At the Y, you will be part of a vibrant and diverse network of people whose shared vision is to change lives and make our communities home to the healthiest children, teens, adults, and families.
Our competitive wage and benefit package include:
- Free YMCA gym membership;
- Discounted Y program fees (including health & fitness programs, child care, and camps);
- Access to our YMCA Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP) including free, immediate, confidential assistance and counselling for you and your family members for mental and physical health, and financial advice, among other 12 suites of services;
- Free daily camp bus transportation to and from camp facility is available upon request.
What do you offer?
The Camp Maintenance and Cleaning Staff must ensure a clean and safe camp environment that maintains Y standards and meets Y expectations at all times.
Some of the tasks of this position include:
- Operating the heating and cooling system, including monitoring gauges and control systems, troubleshooting, minor repairs, and preventative maintenance of equipment.
- Advising management of area in need of long term and/or immediate attention.
- Providing hands-on cleaning service.
- Ensuring that proper cleaning products and tools are used.
- Performing general repairs to camp facilities – patching and painting walls, changing lights, plumbing repairs, etc.
- Maintaining the facility grounds, including lawn cutting, etc.
What qualifications and abilities are we looking for?
At the YMCA of the National Capital Region, we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Ability to work in English
- Bilingualism is an asset
Experience, Skills and Abilities
- Standard First Aid and CPR “C” or equivalent
- WHMIS certified, or willing to obtain
- Ability to read and follow cleaning and safety standards to complete assigned duties to the quality level established
- Knowledge of basic facility maintenance functions, such as painting, plumbing, electrical, and general repairs is considered an asset
- Experience dealing with clientele in a positive and professional manner
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to provide flexibility in scheduling, based on the camp’s needs
- Must be 16 years old by June 24, 2024.
- Applicants must already have a valid permit to work in Canada.
- A Police Record check, not more than 6 months old is required. Police Records checks are reviewed on an individual basis and the offense(s) – if any – is considered in the decision-making process in relation to the requirement of working with children, therefore not eliminating all candidates with a record from being offered a position.
- Semi-annually, staff must complete the mandatory training for the protection of Children & Youth and submit the certificate of completion.
- Commitment to Y Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the Y.
- Confidentiality, Privacy and Integrity: Demonstrates responsible behaviour at all times and maintains high ethical standards.
- Communication: Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the Association.
- Problem Solving: Identifies an issue, gathers and processes information, coming up with possible solutions, selecting appropriate responses, and implementing them.
- Quality Focus: Ensures that success criteria for self, staff and programs are set, reviewed and surpassed regularly to provide excellent service delivery.
- Teamwork: Participates actively in a team for organizational effectiveness. Creates an atmosphere of trust amongst all team members.
- Concern for Health and Safety: Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction.
- Creativity and Innovation: Plans and implements quality programming in a developmentally appropriate environment.
About diversity and inclusiveness at the Y:
Inclusiveness is a part of our core values and we are committed to ensuring the diversity of the people and communities we serve and as well as our staff. We welcome candidates from racialized groups, invisible minorities, Indigenous People, women, persons with disabilities, persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
YMCA of the National Capital Region is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, the YMCA will endeavour to provide accommodation to people with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org upon scheduling your interview.
How to apply?
Email your resume to email@example.com.