Camp Life Director
Camp Life Director
Number of Positions: 1
Reports To: Manager of Camp Operations
Compensation: $115/day plus room and board
Location: Camp Woodeden (London, ON)
Employment Dates: June 1, 2022 – July 31, 2022 (Full-time, onsite)
Reporting directly to the Manager of Camp Operations (MCO), the Camp Life Director is an integral part of the Leadership Team and shares responsibility for planning, implementing, and overseeing an inclusive, anti- oppressive, camper-focused camp program and culture. Working closely with the Camp Therapist, the CLD, will take the lead providing staff and volunteer support and engagement by implementing ongoing recreation, recognition, and training opportunities and events, mediating staff conflict, and assisting staff in obtaining outside support if necessary. The CLD will oversee special events at camp and provide ongoing assessments of program activities to ensure they meet Easter Seals standards.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
• Work as an integral member of the Leadership Team.
• Assists in planning staff training/pre-camp and provides opportunities for staff development throughout the summer and share responsibility for planning, implementing, and overseeing an inclusive, anti- oppressive, camper-focused camp program and culture.
• Work closely with various staff committees to co-ordinate the special events that take place at camp.
• Work with members of the leadership team to implement a risk management plan.
• Be familiar with the OCA Standards and the Health Protection and Promotion Act R.R.O. 1990 Regulation 568, Recreational Camps and Health Protection and Promotion Act R.R.O. 1990 Regulation 565, Public Pools
• Develop program goals that follow Easter Seals Ontario camping goals & objectives.
The Camp Life Director
• Ensures that the programs are challenging, of a high quality, creative and safe for campers of all ages and abilities.
• Conducts ongoing program evaluations to ensure that the programs are meeting the needs of the campers.
• Pro-actively identify and solve problems and areas of concern.
• Meets regularly with the program/counselling staff.
• Remains visible and accessible by participating in camp programs and assisting where required in the cabins.
• Assists with the supervision and evaluation of the camp staff.
• Ensures proper completion and timely submission of all reports.
• Adheres to and support all camp policies and procedures as detailed in the Camp Resource manual and Leadership Team Manual.
• Performs any other duties as assigned by the Manager of Camp Operations.
Physical Aspects of the Position
• Ability to communicate and work with groups and provide necessary instruction to campers and staff.
• Ability to observe camper and staff behaviour and apply appropriate behaviour-management techniques, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures.
• Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
• Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
• Able to manage lifting, some bending, stooping, and stretching as well as daily exposure to the sun and heat and varying environmental conditions.
Minimum age: 18 years old
2+ years senior camp experience preferred. G Class license or willing to obtain, Preference given to those who have studied in a social work, clinical psychology, or a related field. Excellent leadership, people, and group management skills. CPR or Standard First Aid required prior to the start of the camp season.
• Work and live full-time onsite from June – August.
• Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
• It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
• Camp staff members are required to participate fully in the camp activities. This may include swimming every day, dressing-up, and working with children/youth all day.
• Should be capable of lifting and transferring 15 – 25 kgs in a safe manner.
• Onsite housing provided for camping season; meals provided during camp sessions.
• June – August eight-day work period, 24 hours/day on call with scheduled breaks throughout the day and three days off between sessions.
• Required to be on-call for one of the changeover periods during the summer.
How to Apply: Submit an application form online at https://www.eastersealscamps.org/staff/positions
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.