Camp Kandalore – Director
544 Eglinton Ave. East; Suite # 201, Toronto (September – May);
1143 Kandalore Road, Algonquin Highlands, (June – August).
Start Date: December 1, 2021.
Reports To: Board of Directors (through one of its members).
Direct Reports: 3 Assistant Directors (Program, Camp Life and Operations), Outdoor Education Centre Director, Site Manager.
About Camp Kandalore:
Founded in 1947, Camp Kandalore is one of Canada’s leading summer camps. Traditional, yet progressive, it provides the best of both canoe tripping and contemporary in-camp activities.
All campers benefit from Kandalore’s outstanding canoe tripping program, whether for an overnight or a 22-day white water river expedition. Campers get to experience up to 30 different in-camp activities, ranging from high ropes and pottery to waterskiing.
The Camp’s long-standing history has shaped its unique and deeply valued culture. Campers and staff belong to an especially warm, inclusive and accepting community, one that celebrates fun, authenticity, nature, learning, and challenge. As a consequence, campers become more resilient, independent and self-assured.
Approximately 1075 campers attend sessions for varying lengths of time, extending from one week to eight weeks, during July and August, producing an average daily enrolment of 340 campers supported by 120 staff.
Kandalore operates its Outdoor Education Centre (OEC) from September to June. Normally, it hosts approximately 4000 school aged children and their teachers per year. Depending on the season, it is supported by 10-20 staff who help participants to discover personal strengths and practice problem-solving and decision-making skills in a challenging, outdoor environment.
For more information about Camp Kandalore, please visit www.kandalore.com.
The Director reports to the Board of Directors through one of its members. The Director is responsible for the development and execution of Kandalore’s summer camp program, its fall, winter and spring Outdoor Education Centre, and for all matters related to their respective staffs and enrolments.
For both summer camp and OEC programs, the Director is responsible for:
- Contributing to their strategic visions, plans and priorities.
- Developing and implementing their annual goals.
- Managing their program operations and administration, including their budgets and risk management protocols.
- Advancing their enrolment strategies, implementing their promotion, recruitment, and marketing goals.
- Managing the hiring, training, performances and development of their respective staffs.
- Communicating with all constituents, including alumni.
- Providing inspiration, support, and leadership to the entire Kandalore community
Experience and Qualifications
The Director will be a well-rounded and respected leader who has demonstrated a passion for camping and a commitment to building positive relationships. Most importantly, the new Director will be a person of character, principles, warmth, humour and authenticity.
The Director will possess:
- A minimum of five years in a senior leadership role in an overnight summer camp setting.
- A knowledge, appreciation and understanding of canoe tripping.
- Superior client service and relationship development skills.
- Strong organizational skills and proficiency with technology.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Salary and benefits are highly competitive, commensurate with experience.
Please email your cover letter and resume by October 1, 2021 to:
David Hadden – HR@kandalore.com
Camp Kandalore values the diversity of people. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodation will be provided, on request, to support candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All responses will be handled with strict confidence.