Camp Henry Waterfront Coordinator
Position: Waterfront Coordinator
Location: YMCA Camp Henry
Contract Dates: Mid June – September 1, 2023
YMCA Camp Henry is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Point Pelee National Park near Leamington, Ontario. Since 2017, Camp Henry has offered a variety of programs for children and youth ages 5-16 during the summer, including four and five night overnight camps, day camps, and family camp programs. Point Pelee National Park has many beautiful attractions that inspire children and youth. Our camp offers water- based activities like swimming, kayaking and canoeing and our land-based activities include archery, biking, crafts, games, and exploring nature. All of our activities are designed to support the development of spirit, mind and body for all of our campers. YMCA Camp Henry also operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools, youth, families and private groups. Annually, Camp Henry hosts approximately 300 participants throughout the summer camp programs.
The Waterfront Coordinator is responsible for the safety and supervision of all activities on the waterfronts at YMCA Camp Henry. This includes the coordination and support of waterfront program area, including swimming, canoeing and kayaking programs. This staff member works closely with counsellors and is the lead when instructing waterfront program. They will work to ensure all waterfront programs are well organized, fun, creative, safe, and engaging in a way that supports the YMCA core values and the goals of the camp. This staff will facilitate the majority of the canoeing and kayaking programs with camper groups each day, and will also contribute to other land based program areas as a general program lead. The Waterfront Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the safety and emergency procedures on the waterfronts at camp, the coordination and supervision of lifeguards, and ongoing in-service lifeguard training throughout the summer. The Waterfront Coordinator will ensure all activity and safety equipment and supplies are always stocked and in good working condition. This person is an active member of the senior team and will support all be required to areas of camp when necessary. They will report directly to the Program Coordinator.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Ensures adequate and engaged supervision of campers
- Proactively manages emotional and physical risk for campers and staff members
- Works patiently and positively with campers and staff members to solve problems
- Provides support and leadership to ensure that all programming delivered at camp reflects YMCA core values
- Contributes to planning and delivery of camp wide activities and special events
- Provides direct, hands-on leadership to all waterfront and boating activities at camp
- Manages waterfront and boating risks proactively and effectively and responds quickly and effectively to accidents and incidents on, in, or near the water
- Reviews, implements, and adheres to internal policies and procedures regarding lifeguarding, waterfront, and boating activities and ensures all required safety equipment is in working order
- Ensures all required paperwork and logs are completed on time
- Maintains a consistently positive attitude, role models the YMCA core values and maintains a healthy lifestyle
Other Job Details:
This is a seasonal position and the successful candidate is required to live on site at YMCA Camp Henry in rustic accommodations from late June until the end of August while camp is in operation. This position will be expected to work Sunday afternoon until Friday evening each week and will live on site during this time.
Qualifications & Experience:
- National Lifeguard – Pool
- National Lifeguard – Waterfront (preferred)
- Standard First Aid, CPR C
- G Class Drivers License
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening as per current YMCA Human Resource policy
- Experience working with youth in a camp or outdoor education environment
- Exceptional communication skills, relationship-building skills, and organizational skills
- Minimum of 1 previous season working in a waterfront/aquatic environment
- Preferred Applicants: Red Cross Instructors, YMCA Swim Instructors, LSS Instructors, LSS Examiners, ORCKA Flatwater Kayak Instructor, ORCKA Basic Canoe Instructor
- Developing Others
- Self Development
- Emotional Maturity
- Quality Results
- Decision Making
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and YMCA application form to email@example.com Please include the Job Title in the subject line.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our association. We thank all interested applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.