Camp Henry Program Rover
Position: Program Rover
Location: YMCA Camp Henry
Contract Dates: June 26 – September 2, 2022
YMCA Camp Henry is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Point Pelee National Park near Leamington, Ontario. Since 2017, Camp Henry has offered a variety of programs for children and youth ages 5-16 during the summer, including four and five night overnight camps, day camps, and family camp programs. Point Pelee National Park has many beautiful attractions that inspire children and youth. Our camp offers water- based activities like swimming, kayaking and canoeing and our land-based activities include archery, biking, crafts, games, and exploring nature. All of our activities are designed to support the development of spirit, mind and body for all of our campers. YMCA Camp Henry also operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools, youth, families and private groups. Annually, Camp Henry hosts approximately 300 participants throughout the summer camp programs.
The Program Rover is responsible for instructing and facilitating a wide range of programming for varied skill leveled campers (I.e. Biking, Archery, Arts & Crafts, Kayaking and Canoeing). The Program Rover will be responsible for providing leadership and assisting the Program Coordinator to deliver high quality activities and overall camper safety. The Program Coordinator and Program Rover will work as a team to update program curriculum, assist staff in the delivery of programs and ensure that each program area and all special events are run at a high standard of safety and of quality. The Program Rover will also lend support to other areas of camp including leadership/ inclusion programming, kitchen support and site maintenance when needed. This person will report to the Program Coordinator.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Assist with program schedules for each session and all program administration paperwork throughout each session
- Facilitate high quality programs that are safe, age appropriate and reflect the mission and values of our YMCA and our YMCA Camping Quality Recommended Practices
- Work with the Program Coordinator to develop program curriculum, assist in the delivery of programs and ensure that each program area and all special events are run at a high standard of safety and of quality.
- Assist in managing program equipment and program areas/storage to ensure everything is in safe working order
- Support and work closely with counselling team throughout the season
- Assist in providing all staff with training, support and program resources
- Provide on-site leadership to daily programs at camp
- Maintaining high level of camper care and safety at YMCA Camp Henry
- Responsible for establishing an enjoyable and safe working environment
Other Job Details:
This is a seasonal position and the successful candidate is required to live on site at YMCA Camp Henry in rustic accommodations from late June until the end of August while camp is in operation. This position will be expected to work Sunday afternoon until Friday evening each week and will live on site during this time.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Valid CPR C and Standard First Aid
- G Class Drivers License
- National Lifeguard
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening as per current YMCA Human Resource policy
- YMCA of Southwestern Ontario employees and volunteers are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to help prevent and limit the spread. Any exemptions must be approved by YMCA management.
- Experience working with youth in a camp or outdoor education environment
- Previous experience managing and supervising staff in a camp or outdoor education environment (minimum 1 year)
- Exceptional communication skills, relationship-building skills, and organizational skills
- Developing Others
- Self Development
- Emotional Maturity
- Quality Results
- Decision Making
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and YMCA application form to Nancy Knyf, General Manager of Overnight Camping at email@example.com. Please include the Job Title in the subject line.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our association. We thank all interested applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.