Camp Henry Prep Cook
Position: Prep Cook
Location: YMCA Camp Henry (June-August)
Contract Dates: June 25 – August 18, 2022 (possible contract extension until Sept 1, 2023)
Compensation: $425 per week, based on experience
YMCA Camp Henry is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Point Pelee National Park near Leamington, Ontario. Since 2017, Camp Henry has offered a variety of programs for children and youth ages 5-16 during the summer, including four and five night overnight camps, day camps, and family camp programs. Point Pelee National Park has many beautiful attractions that inspire children and youth. Our camp offers water- based activities like swimming, kayaking and canoeing and our land-based activities include archery, biking, crafts, games, exploring nature and day trips. All of our activities are designed to support the development of spirit, mind and body for all of our campers. YMCA Camp Henry also operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools, youth, families and private groups. Annually, Camp Henry hosts approximately 300 participants throughout the summer camp programs.
The Prep Cook will support food service operations at camp. They are responsible for assisting in the delivery of food service to campers and staff at Camp Henry. They will support the food service and operations areas of camp through food preparation, baking, food storage, and by ensuring a clean and sanitary kitchen in accordance with all public health guidelines. This individual will have many opportunities to work with campers and staff in programs each day outside of their food service responsibilities. This position reports to the Food Service Coordinator.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Work cooperatively and communicate effectively with the Food Service Coordinator, camp management and all staff
- Support preparing balanced and nutritional menu plan (breakfast, lunch, dinner, desert, and snacks daily) for groups of up to 100 campers and staff
- Ensure all food is prepared and handled in a safe and healthy manner, the kitchen is a safe, clean, and sanitary workplace, in accordance with Public Health guidelines
- Ensure kitchen and food storage areas are maintained at a consistently high level of cleanliness
- Contribute to the smooth management of the kitchen including having a strong understanding of supplies, and equipment
- Maintaining high level of camper care and safety at YMCA Camp Henry
- Develop positive relationships with campers and staff that reflect our core values
- Responsible for establishing an enjoyable and safe working environment in the kitchen
Other Job Details:
This is a seasonal position and the successful candidate will live on site at YMCA Camp Henry in rustic accommodations from late June until the end of August or have the option to live off site if needed. This position will be expected to work Sunday afternoon until Friday afternoon each week.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Valid CPR C/Standard First Aid
- Food Safe Handling Certificate
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening as per current YMCA Human Resource policy
- YMCA of Southwestern Ontario employees and volunteers are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to help prevent and limit the spread. Any exemptions must be approved by YMCA management.
- Positive and energetic individual with strong organizational, communication and relationship-building skills
- Experience working in a kitchen and/or camp environment
- Self Development
- Emotional Maturity
- Quality Results
- Decision Making
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and YMCA application form to email@example.com Please include the Job Title in the subject line.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our association. We thank all interested applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.