Camp Henry Inclusion Counsellor
Position: Inclusion Counsellor
Location: YMCA Camp Henry (June-August)
Start Date: June 26 – August 19, 2022
Compensation: $360 per week
YMCA Camp Henry is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Point Pelee National Park near Leamington, Ontario. Since 2017, Camp Henry has offered a variety of programs for children and youth ages 5-16 during the summer, including four and five night overnight camps, day camps, and family camp programs. Point Pelee National Park has many beautiful attractions that inspire children and youth. Our camp offers water- based activities like swimming, kayaking and canoeing and our land-based activities include archery, biking, crafts, games, exploring nature and day trips. All of our activities are designed to support the development of spirit, mind and body for all of our campers. YMCA Camp Henry also operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools, youth, families and private groups. Annually, Camp Henry hosts approximately 300 participants throughout the summer camp programs.
Inclusion Counsellors work as part of a counselling team with a primary focus of working directly with inclusion campers that need different levels of support and supervision. They are responsible for the mental and physical health and wellbeing of the campers in their care. They may work one on one with campers or provided support at certain times of the day for certain campers. They are responsible for running programs and developing techniques to ensure that campers feel included and comfortable in the camp environment. They will also be responsible for developing a professional and caring relationship with the camper families to ensure that there is good communication before the camper arrives at camp and throughout their camp experience. This position may be alternated with a traditional Counselling position. Flexibility and a willingness to take on new challenges are essential qualities for all Inclusion Counsellors. This position is supervised by the Section Head.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Ensures that campers’ life needs are met throughout their time at camp, including assisting with feeding, washing, and taking care of camper life needs if they need assistance
- Provides adequate and engaged supervision of all campers in their care
- Proactively manages emotional and physical risk for campers and colleague
- Ensures all campers are included in cabin dynamic and activities and also ensures accommodations are made as needed to encourage and promote inclusive environment
- Helps create and implement tools to engage campers who need extra support in camp programming
- Adheres to internal policies and procedures regarding lifeguarding, waterfront, and boating activities
- Ensures that campers’ life needs are met, including medication administration and first aid administration
- Staff are expected to respond when necessary to camper needs any time of day or night
- Brings creativity and inspiration into exciting programs and works to create new creative activities
- Maintains a consistently positive attitude, role models the YMCA core values and maintains a healthy lifestyle
Other Job Details:
This is a seasonal position and the successful candidate is required to live on site at YMCA Camp Henry in rustic accommodations from late June until the end of August while camp is in operation. This position will be expected to work Sunday afternoon until Friday evening each week and will live on site during this time.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Valid CPR C/Standard First Aid
- National Lifeguard (preferred)
- Non Violent Crisis Intervention Training (preferred)
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening as per current YMCA Human Resource policy
- YMCA of Southwestern Ontario employees and volunteers are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to help prevent and limit the spread. Any exemptions must be approved by YMCA management.
- Fun and responsible individuals looking to focus on the needs of campers. Experience working with youth in a camp or outdoor education environment
- Self Development
- Emotional Maturity
- Quality Results
- Decision Making
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and application form to: Nancy Knyf, General Manager of Overnight Camping at email@example.com. Please include the Job Title in the subject line.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our association. We thank all interested applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.