Camp Henry Counsellor
Position: Camp Counsellor
Location: YMCA Camp Henry (June-September)
Start Date: June 26 – August 19, 2022 (possible contract extension until September 2 available)
Compensation: New Counsellors $350 per week, Experienced Counsellors $360 per week
YMCA Camp Henry is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Point Pelee National Park near Leamington, Ontario. Since 2017, Camp Henry has offered a variety of programs for children and youth ages 5-16 during the summer, including four and five night overnight camps, day camps, and family camp programs. Point Pelee National Park has many beautiful attractions that inspire children and youth. Our camp offers water- based activities like swimming, kayaking and canoeing and our land-based activities include archery, biking, crafts, games, exploring nature and day trips. All of our activities are designed to support the development of spirit, mind and body for all of our campers. YMCA Camp Henry also operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools, youth, families and private groups. Annually, Camp Henry hosts approximately 300 participants throughout the summer camp programs.
Our Camp Counsellors are responsible for overseeing and supporting the health and well being of campers throughout the summer, establishing and maintaining a camp culture that is inclusive, safe, positive and fun. We run both overnight and day camp programs and our counsellors have the opportunity to work with both or stay with one area. They are responsible for providing care, supervision, support, and programming for a cabin group of up to 7 campers in our overnight cabins or around 10 campers in our day camps. They actively contribute to the healthy development of children and youth in our care through building positive relationships and intentional programming with our campers. Camp counsellors may also have the opportunity to support different areas of camp by working with the kitchen or as an inclusion, leadership or day camp counsellor. This position is supervised by the Section Head.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Provide support and 24 hr supervision for a cabin group of 6 campers each session or 10 campers in our day camp programs
- Delivery of high-quality participant experiences that promote and reflect the YMCA core values and mission statement
- Develop positive individual relationships with campers and ensure all life needs are met
- Maintain high level of camper care and safety at YMCA Camp Henry.
- Facilitating fun, value based activities for campers that are safe and developmentally appropriate
- Ensure safety of campers through ongoing risk management and crisis response following YMCA procedures
- Build relationships and work closely with Camp Henry staff team and contribute to establishing a enjoyable and safe working environment
Other Job Details:
This is a seasonal position and the successful candidate is required to live on site at YMCA Camp Henry in rustic accommodations from late June until the end of August while camp is in operation. This position will be expected to work Sunday afternoon until Friday evening each week and will live on site during this time. If exclusively working with day camp programs, staff may have the option to live off site.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Valid CPR C/Standard First Aid
- National Lifeguard (preferred)
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening as per current YMCA Human Resource policy
- YMCA of Southwestern Ontario employees and volunteers are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to help prevent and limit the spread. Medical exemptions must be approved by YMCA management.
- Fun and responsible individuals looking to focus on the needs of campers. Experience working with youth in a camp or outdoor education environment (preferred)
- Self Development
- Emotional Maturity
- Quality Results
- Decision Making
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and application form to: Nancy Knyf, General Manager of Overnight Camping at email@example.com. Please include the Job Title in the subject line.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our association. We thank all interested applicants but advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.