Job Posting for Camp Director
About Camp Quin-Mo-Lac
Located on the shores of Moira Lake (north of Belleville, between Madoc and Tweed) and affiliated with The United Church of Canada, Camp Quin-Mo-Lac is an overnight summer camp for children of all faiths, aged 7 to 15 years. Seven 1-week camps are held over July and August to give 1,200+ children and youth an affordable experience of living together in a caring, camping environment that promotes diversity, acceptance, and inclusivity. Activities include hiking, swimming, canoeing, archery, rock wall climbing, high and low ropes, orienteering, overnight out-tripping, crafts, music, campfires, cookouts, singsongs, camp-wide games, special theme days, talent shows and vespers to encourage physical activity, personal growth, and building community and relationships with others in an outdoor setting.
An outdoor education program for nearby elementary and secondary schools is held over May and June. Many of the same activities are offered to these school groups and tailored to meet their specific curriculum objectives for outdoor activity and education. Weekend rentals and events take place in the shoulder seasons, September to April, giving groups access to outdoor activities and community building within their group.
Camp Quin-Mo-Lac fosters an active alumni community that has continued to grow and disperse around the world for 74 years.
Camp Quin-Mo-Lac is currently seeking a full time, permanent Camp Director to begin work as soon as possible — someone who is excited to lead a hardworking and fun-loving team, make a positive difference in the lives of children and young adults, and continue making Camp Quin-Mo-Lac the best camp ever! Reporting to the Board of Directors and operating within the camping accreditation guidelines of the Ontario Camps Association (OCA) and The United Church of Canada, the Camp Director oversees camp operations and programming throughout the year.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise and support spring and summer staff.
- Plan, guide and oversee the spring Outdoor Education and summer camp programs.
- Coordinate with personnel to provide a safe and healthy camp facility.
- Seek out opportunities to promote summer camping, generate new revenue streams and recruit new staff.
- Attend Board and committee meetings.
- Develop marketing materials, maintain and update website and social media accounts.
- Post-secondary education with five years of experience related directly to children’s residential summer camping.
- A proactive approach to risk management and a thorough appreciation and understanding of the risks and risky behaviour seen in today’s youth.
- Ability to think critically and respond appropriately in high stress situations.
- Knowledge, comfort level and an ability to educate others.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- United Church (or similar) faith background and the ability to guide youth in appreciating and developing their own faith experiences.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations specific to camping industry as pertains to personnel, program areas, equipment and property (physical plant and services, personnel and childcare, employment standards, and program/industry standards).
- Standard First Aid, CPR and AED certification.
- Experience with rock wall climbing, high ropes, and canoeing.
- A valid driver’s license and boating license.
- Experience with CampBrain, Smore and Excel is an asset.
- The successful candidate will require a current and clear Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Salary commensurate with experience (starting at $55,000).
- An on-site, comfortable, year-round three-bedroom home with utilities.
- Defined contribution pension plan and benefit package.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume by January 7th, 2024 to email@example.com
A job description is available upon request.
Training for the new Camp Director will vary based on applicant’s existing skillset.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and welcome all to apply.
Accommodations in the hiring process are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all applicants in advance, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.