Evergreen is currently seeking a Camp Director to join its Children’s Programming Team. This individual is a content expert and an extraordinary leader responsible for guiding and setting the tone for Evergreen’s full suite of Children’s Camps and Clubs. This includes a flagship Evergreen Summer Adventure Camp, an OCA accredited program that serves approximately 160 campers per week, in addition to other camps like March Break Camp. Responsibilities will also extend to a suite of year round children’s clubs and programming, including Nature School, Nature Nuts, Sprouts Parent and Tot Play, Birthday Parties and Skating Lessons.
The Camp Director helps to lead program development, while playing a key role in on-the-ground program delivery and utilizing their skills to help our programs come alive. The Camp Director thrives in a dynamic environment and provides consistent, creative support to participants and fellow team members alike.
The successful candidate will ensure access to a rich, experiential outdoor play environment for all participants, and contributes to the overall success of Evergreen’s Camps and Clubs by supporting an inclusive culture focused on healthy risk taking and having fun. They are a mature team player and strong communicator who believes in the power and importance of outdoor play and nature connection in the lives of children.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
The Camp Director is accountable for the overall implementation of Camps and Clubs programming and is specifically responsible for personnel management, program development and health and safety management in accordance with Covid-19 Guidelines, Evergreen policies and Ontario Camps Association Standards.
The Camp Director serves as the primary point of contact for parents, counselors and volunteers, and oversee most aspects of staffing, programming, and participant relations for all Camps and Clubs. They manage a team of counselors and specialists, and work with the larger Evergreen program team to ensure a diverse, safe, inclusive and mission-driven program.
- Ensure the Health and Safety of staff and program participants in accordance with Evergreen policies and procedures
- Oversee and administer participant recruitment, registration, reports and evaluations
- Manage participant information and groupings, including administering inclusion program for campers with exceptionalities
- Plan, deliver and monitor programming and schedules
- Oversee administrative functions for camp and other programming, including maintenance of fiscal records, budget, resources and supplies
- Liaise and communicate effectively with participant families and partner organizations
- Address crisis management, discipline and troubleshooting issues related to participants and/or staff
- Review program content to ensure programs are safe, fun and reflective of Evergreen’s program goals and policies
- Prepare reports to evaluate programs, including participant surveys and testimonials
- Work collaboratively with Marketing & Communications to generate promotional content for programs
- Lead training, supervision and evaluation of staff, including daily debriefs
- Support training, supervision and evaluation of interns and volunteers
- Oversee the coordination of the Financial Assistance program for camp
- Contribute to positive workplace culture and great internal communication
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection
You excel in the following areas:
- Leadership. Mobilize and build strong teams. Lead by example. Inspire others to achieve.
- Planning/Organization/Project Management. Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals and focus on priorities, create/implement action plans/budgets, document, evaluate, learn.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Collaboration. Employ generosity of spirit when working across lines.
You have the following qualifications:
- 3-5 years’ experience working in a camp, outdoor education or recreational setting
- University or college degree/diploma (or equivalent professional/lived experience)
- Experience managing a full-time, seasonal or hourly staff team
- Experience providing programming for diverse populations including children with exceptionalities
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting the growth of a culture of nature connection in children and young people
- Excellent social, communication, writing and computer skills
- Standard First Aid and CPR-C certification and a Vulnerable Sector Check
- Background in Biology, Environmental Sciences, nature connection core routines, and/or outdoor experiential education an asset
- Previous experience in a forest school or outdoor education-based programming would be considered an asset, as would familiarity with concepts and approaches such as loose parts, healthy risk taking and place-based learning
- Supervised by Sr. Program Manager
- Supervises Camp Counselors, Assistant Camp Director, Camp Specialists, Site Animators
- Position is usually based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto. However, due to COVID this position will be working remotely and on site only as needed.
- Regular office hours (flexible), but work will include some weekends, holidays and/or evenings
- Working outdoors in inclement weather
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Able to lift weight in excess of 20 pounds
- Full time, permanent, hourly
- Hourly rate: $26.00
- Employer-paid health and dental benefits package, 3 weeks paid vacation, 3 Evergreen Days and your birthday off, and professional development opportunities
Application Close Date: March 6, 2022. Applications will be screened on a rolling basis and applicants may be contacted before the application close date. *Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*
To apply, visit: https://can61.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/evergreen/Posting/View/487