Camp Craft Instructor
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $125.06 -$128.06 /day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 24th to August 25th, 2023
Reports To: Program Director, Summer Camp Director
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Camp Craft Instructor.
The Camp Craft Instructor engages campers in natural ecology with hands-on and exciting outdoor activities. The Camp Craft Instructor leads activities including the following: exciting and empowering explorations of the forest and intertidal zone at Camp Elphinstone, making tools with wild material, fire building, shelter building, and outdoor cooking.
The Camp Craft Instructor must possess hands-on skills at teaching innovative and nature-based crafts and knowledge of local natural history and ecology (including local plants, animal signs and geological or meteorological observations).
The Camp Craft Instructor is a member of the program staff team at camp. The program staff team will responsible for instructing camp activities and supporting other staff in delivering programs. They will also have other daily responsibilities such as helping with supervision of campers, evening cabin support, facilitating early morning and evening programs, program logistics, and care/maintenance of camp program equipment.
· Facilitating experiential and camper-focused camp craft programs with children ages 5-17.
· Regularly inspect, maintain, and inventory all camp craft equipment. This includes all Archery Ranges. Report issues to the Program Director.
· Assist with ordering camp craft supplies prior to the summer and on an ongoing basis throughout the summer.
· Work with the other members of the program staff team to accomplish shared responsibilities.
· Standard First Aid & CPR-C
· Bronze Cross
· Knowledge or studies in ecology, biology
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
· 3 successful reference checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· Wilderness First Aid
· Certification in interpretive guiding