WHO WE ARE
Camp Ouareau is an all-girl’s* summer camp in Notre-Dame-de-la-Merci, Québec with a unique language program that
gives campers the chance to connect with others in their second language. Just north of
Montréal, Ouareau is nestled between the Lanaudière mountains, the ideal place to practice
your French (or English!), make new friends, to work on leadership skills, and to be a part of
an empowering team of women*, all while taking advantage of Camp Ouareau’s lakeside
*Our work environment aims to create an inclusive space for gender minorities, whilst remaining predominantly an all-girls camp.
Camp Ouareau is looking for an enthusiastic individual to be a camp counsellor this summer, who has a genuine interest in supporting campers ages 8-16 in their exploration of a variety of outdoor activities and programs. As a counsellor, you will develop excellent communication skills and have a chance to create a positive, empowering, and impactful experience for all ages.
Ouareau is the place for you if:
– You love spending your summers outdoors, helping campers disconnect from technology and experience the beautiful Laurentian mountains.
– You want to contribute to a team that prioritizes building a positive community of self-growth and self-expression.
– You thrive in the energetic and fast-paced environment of taking care of campers, planning programs, and running activities.
– You want to gain experience in critical thinking, communication, complex problem-solving, crisis management, and childcare.
– You are keen to work within our bilingual program, giving both French & English speakers opportunities to improve their second language
As a counsellor, you will be responsible for caring for and supporting a group of eight to twelve campers. Together with another staff member, you will be responsible for waking campers up, helping them get ready for the day, looking after them in the evenings and supervising bedtime routines. During the day, you will spend your time supporting activity heads at four of many activities, like rock climbing, archery, windsurfing, canoeing, dance, theatre, pottery, and more! You will organize camp-wide games and programs, and have the option of leading canoe or hiking trips. You will also spend two weeks of the summer working on our site maintenance crew.
- Previous experience working with children in any capacity (education, nannying, previous camps, sports, etc) is an asset
- Bilingual or professional working proficiency in both French and English
- Must be 18 years or older by June 23, 2024
- First Aid & CPR Certified or willing to get certified
- NLS Qualification is an asset
CONTRACT DETAILS AND COMPENSATION
- June 12 to August 18, 2024
- One (1) day off during staff training and eight (8) throughout the summer, which includes midcamp break from noon on Friday July 19th to 4pm on Sunday July 21st
- Staff live in cabins with other 3-7 other staff members
- Base compensation for a full summer contract is $5,695 + room and board. Increases based on experience and qualifications.