We are looking for energetic, outdoor enthusiasts who love working with youth to join our team!
Camp Kearney is located in a wilderness setting 30 minutes north of Huntsville on the western border of Algonquin Park. The site, also known as the Scarborough Outdoor Education School, is owned and operated by the Toronto District School Board, and it encompasses 400 hectares of beautiful, rolling hardwood and coniferous forest and includes 2 pristine lakes in the Canadian Shield country. Our programs provide an opportunity for students and campers to discover our natural environment and develop a respect for the wonders they find. Our hope is to find energetic counsellor that can support the programs, share their knowledge and even develop new skills while working at Camp Kearney.
Once July starts SOES is transformed into CAMP KEARNEY!! We run a full summer camp, with canoe trips, high ropes course, survival skills and camping. The Camp provides programs for kids from 9-18 and has 5, 8, 15 and 21 day programs. Have a look at Camp Kearney’s website to see the programs and details. During the camp, the Counsellors will assist with the programs, and canoe trips for the Campers.
Summer Counsellor Position:
- Pay rate changes to the summer: weekly wage is $225-$275/week (This includes room and board)
- Shifts 4-10 days on and 1-2 days off
- Support and assist with group activities, canoe trips and ropes programs
- Supervise Campers in the cabins
- Help campers navigate the operations of camp, between meals and programs.
- Participate in Ropes training (Provided)
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- National Lifeguarding Certificate
- Minimum 16 years of age
- Valid First Aid (Wilderness First Aid is an asset and necessary for Canoe Tripping) and CPR certification
- Experience working with children grades 3-12
- Good physical condition
- Enjoy working with kids
- Ability to lead, motivate and inspire students through an experiential program
- Ability to work with people as a member of a dynamic team.
- Drivers Class G license, with a minimum of three years experience is an asset.
Transportation and Housing:
- Live on site when working, with all meals provided
Applicants over the age of 18 at the time of Camp will require a Security Clearance Required. Vulnerable Sector Check Police check will be required.