Job Title: Camp Counsellor (12 Positions)
Location: Elmwood, Ontario – Between Hanover and Durham, Ontario
Dates of Employment:July 2nd, 2023 – August 26, 2023
Since 1971, Camp McGovern has been faithful to the original vision of providing
underprivileged children and youth with the opportunity to go to overnight camp. At Camp
McGovern we serve approximately 75 kids a week – all of whom are referred through
Children’s Aid, United Way Agencies or Big Brothers Big Sisters. We are situated on 120
acres located along the beautiful Saugeen River, near Hanover, Ontario.
Our team of staff and volunteers put on an array of activities throughout the week including:
Arts & Crafts, Nature Programs, River Rides, High/Low Ropes, Archery, Swimming, Canoeing,
Campfires, Games and more. Camp McGovern is a welcoming, safe environment where
Campers and Staff come from all walks of life and experiences. We value friendships, we
foster leadership and we hold a shared passion for having FUN.
If you want to make an impactful difference while utilizing your experiences, education,
leadership and skills, then this may be the perfect fit for you!
Camp McGovern is a registered charity seeking multiple candidates for the position of Camp
Counsellor for our summer camp operations. We are looking for enthusiastic candidates who
have a big heart, a positive attitude and a desire to be leaders in the camp community.
Our Camp Counsellors live in the cabins with campers, minding their daily needs and
activities. They participate in every aspect of camp life, from teeth brushing to camp-wide
games, running activities to consoling homesick campers. They are at the forefront for
ensuring the health and safety of campers, deferring to the camp Health Care staff or
another member of the Leadership Team when necessary. Camp Counsellors wash soiled
clothes, lead back pocket games and are a shoulder to lean on – they provide support in a
way few other staff do. They dress up, play, provide and care for our campers day and night.
It’s an important job that requires a lot of patience but also has its perks. It’s where magical
memories are made, lifelong friendships are formed, and your contributions have a
profound impact on others. Counsellors are the true superheroes in the eyes of campers.
Job Responsibilities:The Camp Counsellor acts in accordance with camp policies and
guidelines as follows.
● Provide care for campers, ages 5-17, which includes supervision, security, safety,
health, happiness, hygiene and emotional needs.
● Organize and lead a variety of small and large group activities each week. Activities
may include: crafts, archery, low ropes, canoe/kayak, eco, theme days, campfire,
campwide games, etc.
● Taking care of yourself, physically and emotionally so you can put children first.
● Be an enthusiastic, caring, positive role model each camper needs.
● Encourage camper participation in all activities and ensure they feel a sense of
● Communicate with camp Leadership Staff about participant experiences and
● Help campers learn social skills through play and facilitation.
● Maintain responsibility for a safe, clean and organized cabin space.
● Assist in the operation of the camp program and camp wide activities.
● Complete weekly camper evaluations and other reports as required.
● Work collaboratively with a co-counsellor in your cabin.
● Listen and problem solve when issues arise with campers.
The best Camp Counsellors:
● Foster self-esteem, social skills, and respect for others.
● Uncover potential for personal growth in campers.
● Nurture mentoring, teamwork, and leadership development.
● Are focused on safety.
● Are empathetic to staff and campers who need an ear.
● Provide comfort and support when someone needs it.
● Are patient with campers who need more attention.
● Communicate well and seek help when needed.
● Are organized and keep accurate records.
● Understand the importance of camper confidentiality, but know when a disclosure is
required (training provided).
● Are resourceful with coming up with great evening routines to help campers settle at
● Are able to take initiative to create activities on the spot.
● Have experience working with people of diverse backgrounds. We do not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or
● At least 18 years of age.
● Valid First Aid/CPR-C.
● A satisfactory Police Records Check – including the Vulnerable Sector Screening
(dated within 3 months of employment)
● Experience in camp settings, youth programs, recreation, supporting children with
special needs, outdoor education, forest school or related fields would be an asset.
● Certifications in Lifeguarding, Challenge Courses, Canoe/Tripping, etc. are
considered an asset, but not required.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this competition please submit an updated resume and cover letter to
Please quote the competition number (CM-2022-13) in the subject line of your email.
Camp McGovern is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and provides
accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. Should you require an
accommodation please advise the HR Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. All
accommodations will be handled confidentially.