Evergreen is currently seeking to add to its team of Camp Counsellors. This group of individuals are the fabric that holds Evergreen’s Adventure Camp program together, ensuring a playful, engaging and safe experience for all participants. Their talents and interests are as diverse as their many contributions and each is relied upon for their unique skills, perspectives and experience.
Our Camp Counsellors contribute to the overall success of Evergreen Adventure Camp by supporting a culture of experiential learning, healthy risk taking and connecting with nature in a hands on way.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
Evergreen Adventure Camp is an OCA accredited program that serves up to 100 campers per week. Camp Counsellors are responsible for core functions that range from program planning to delivery of safe and engaging camp days.
Camp Counsellors play a key role in on-the-ground program delivery, utilizing their unique skills to help our programs come alive. Camp Counsellors are responsible for the care and safety of a group of up to 10 campers per week. Each Camp Counsellor is relied upon for a number of important tasks over the course of the day, ensuring that the Camp Team can operate in an efficient and effective way.
Camp Counsellors thrive in a fast-moving environment and provide consistent, creative support to campers and the broader camp team; they are mature team-players and strong communicators who believe in the power and importance of outdoor play and nature connection in children’s lives.
- Creatively guide a group of 8-10 campers, ages 6-12, in nature-based programming such as hiking, exploring, biking, fire building, collaborative art, orienteering, songs, and storytelling
- Communicate safety and health regulations to program participants and ensure they understand them
- Help monitor and engage campers during lunch, snack and extended care programs
- Help make improvements to spaces prior to camp start date
- Utilize approaches to behaviour management and conflict resolution provided in training
- Provide mentorship, feedback and guidance to volunteers (Assistant Camp Counsellors)
- Monitor and maintain program spaces and materials, identifying and documenting any concerns with supervisor
- Participate in end of day reflections and provide feedback and support to the rest of the camp team
- Document any behavioural incidents, injuries or accidents, and report to Director/Manager in a timely way
- Communicate effectively with parents/guardians
- Participate in pre-camp training in June, including reading the Staff Handbook
- Act as a positive role model and leader
- Contribute to positive workplace culture and great internal communication
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection
You excel in the following areas:
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Proactivity/Enthusiasm/Persistence. Act without being told what to do. Demonstrate passion and excitement over work. Display a can-do attitude.
You have the following qualifications:
- 1-2 years’ experience working in a camp setting
- University or college degree/diploma (or equivalent professional/lived experience), in-progress or completed
- Demonstrated commitment to supporting the growth of a culture of nature connection in children and young people
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’, or willingness to obtain
- Vulnerable Sector Police Record Check or willingness to obtain
- OCT certified teachers, teacher candidates strongly encouraged to apply
- Experience with Nature Connection Core Routines, Outdoor Experiential Education and/or Forest & Nature school approaches an asset
- Background in Biology, Environmental Sciences/Studies, Arts or similar an asset
- Knowledge of Stewardship and Ecological Restoration practices an asset
- Wilderness First Aid or experience leading backcountry trips an asset
- This position may be funded by Canada Summer Jobs (CSJ), which requires candidates be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment. Meeting these criteria considered an asset.
- Supervised by Sr. Program Manager
- Position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works Campus in Toronto and requires on the ground presence
- Working outdoors in inclement weather
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Able to lift weight in excess of 20 pounds
- Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: At Evergreen we are committed to doing what we can to keep our employees, volunteers, and visitors safe and healthy during the current pandemic. We believe that an important part of this effort is to ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For more information, please see our COVID-19 Guide.
- Full time, contract (mid-June to end of August)
- Hourly rate: $18.00/hour
Application Close Date: May 31st, 2022. Applications will be screened on a rolling basis and applicants may be contacted before the application close date.
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*