Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $125.06 – $128.06/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 24th to August 25th OR September 2nd, 2023
Reports To: Section Directors, Summer Camp Director
Nature & Scope
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Counsellor.
Counsellors work in pairs and are responsible for meeting the emotional, physical and safety needs of a group of up to 10 campers. Counsellors are responsible for the planning and delivery of cabin programs for children aged 5-15.
Counsellors should possess strong abilities in several camp related activities, including out-tripping skills (canoe and/or hiking), in addition to demonstrated abilities to facilitate growth and group development among young people. The nature of this position is flexible and counsellors may be asked to work within a variety of camp sections and roles, including:
McNabb – ages 5 – 7
Chapman – ages 7 – 11
Dakota – ages 12 – 15
Day Camp – ages 5 – 12
Desolation Sound/Sunshine Coast Trail Out-trips – ages 12 –15
Rover Position- float
Kitchen Assistant/ Cleaning Support
· Live in cabins with a co-counsellor and up to 10 campers. Accompany cabin to all programs throughout the day. Provide 24-hour supervision to these campers.
· Plan and deliver safe, fun, and experiential programming appropriate to the ages and abilities of campers. Assist with or take part in camp-wide programming.
· Manage group dynamics and behaviour of the cabin group to ensure the emotional and physical safety of all campers. Ensure that all campers feel supported, safe, and all of their needs (physical, emotional, social, medical, and nutritional) are being met.
· Effectively work with a partner and share responsibilities in such a way that each co-counsellor will be able to learn and grow from one another.
· Seek help from a supervisor when it is appropriate or necessary.
· Age 18+ by July 1, 2022
· Standard First Aid & CPR-C
· Bronze Cross
· Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
· 3 Successful Reference Checks
Additional Qualifications (assets)
· Wilderness First Aid
· ACCT Level 1 or 2