YMCA Camp Elphinstone
Location: YMCA Camp Elphinstone, 1760 YMCA Road, Gibsons, BC V0N 1V6
Rate of Pay: $121.65 – $125/day
Position Status: Seasonal Contract, Full time
Term: June 25th-August 26th OR September 3rd, 2022
Reports To: Section Directors, Summer Camp Director
YMCA Camp Elphinstone:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is located near Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast, a 40-minute ferry ride from Vancouver. It is situated on 144 acres of temperate rainforest along the shores of Howe Sound. During July and August, Camp Elphinstone offers programs for youth ages 5-17, including one and two week overnight camps, sailing camp, Leadership Development, out-trips to Desolation Sound and the Sunshine Coast Trail, and day camps.
From September to June, Camp Elphinstone operates as an Outdoor Education, Event and Retreat Centre for schools, conferences, weddings, and other special interest groups. Camp Elphinstone currently serves over 12,000 participants annually.
YMCA Camp Elphinstone has accommodation and dining for up to 472 people, offering programs like swimming, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, stand up paddleboarding, low/high ropes, rock climbing, wilderness and environmental programs, archery, crafts and more. Camp Elphinstone employs approximately 140 staff/volunteers during July and August, with a team between 20-50 for the spring and fall Outdoor Education seasons, and a smaller core team of 10 staff during the winter season. Successful Camp Elphinstone staff are self-motivated individuals whose ambition is to help children and youth develop in an outdoor camp setting.
Nature & Scope:
YMCA Camp Elphinstone is seeking individuals to fill the role of Counsellor.
Counsellors work in pairs and are responsible for meeting the emotional, physical and safety needs of a group of up to 10 campers. Counsellors are responsible for the planning and delivery of cabin programs for children aged 5-15.
Counsellors should possess strong abilities in several camp related activities, including out-tripping skills (canoe and/or hiking), in addition to demonstrated abilities to facilitate growth and group development among young people. Counsellors may be asked to work within a variety of camp sections, including:
McNabb – ages 5 – 7
Chapman – ages 7 – 11
Dakota – ages 12 – 15
Day Camp – ages 5 – 12
Desolation Sound/Sunshine Coast Trail Out-trips – ages 12 -15
- Plan and deliver safe, fun, and experiential programming appropriate to the ages and abilities of campers. Assist with or take part in camp-wide programming.
- Live in cabins with a co-counsellor and up to 10 campers. Accompany cabin to all programs throughout the day. Provide 24-hour supervision to these campers.
- Manage group dynamics and behaviour of the cabin group to ensure the emotional and physical safety of all campers. Ensure that all campers feel supported, safe, and all of their needs (physical, emotional, social, medical, and nutritional) are being met.
- Effectively work with a partner and share responsibilities in such a way that each co-counsellor will be able to learn and grow from one another.
- Seek help from a supervisor when it is appropriate or necessary.
- Age 18+ by July 1, 2022
- Standard First Aid & CPR-C
- Bronze Cross
- Criminal Reference Check with a Vulnerable Sector Screening issued no later than six (6) months preceding start date
- 3 Successful Reference Checks
- The YMCA has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy requiring all staff and volunteers to be fully vaccinated, as per the timeline set out by the province
Additional Qualifications (assets)
- · NLS
- · Wilderness First Aid
- · ACCT Level 1 or 2
Please submit your resume and cover letter here.
Application Deadline: November 28, 2021. Applications received after this deadline will be considered for subsequent rounds of hiring if positions are still vacant.
Thank you for your interest and application.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The YMCA of Greater Vancouver is committed to creating an inclusive, accessible environment where all members of our community feel valued, respected, and supported. We encourage applications from the diverse communities in which we live and serve, including but not limited to people of colour, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. We have established policies, procedures, and practices to meet accessibility standards throughout the hiring process. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process, please do not hesitate to contact our Human Resources department.