Position Title: Camp cook (multiple positions available)
Reports To: Camp Director/Assistant Camp Director/Head Cook/Assistant Head Cook
Contract length: June 27th – August 12th/13th
Salary: $4,054.75 – $4789.75/ contract
Location: Christie Lake Kids Camp – Westport, ON
Christie Lake Kids (CLK) is a charitable organization that has been serving children and youth living in low income households in the Ottawa area since 1922. CLK provides year round services to children and youth through an excellent camp experience and strategically located city recreational opportunities through the STAR (Skills Through Arts and Recreation) program. Our mandate is to provide high quality recreation opportunities that help children and youth build the skills necessary for developing long-term resiliency.
Christie Lake Kids is an organization committed to reflecting the communities we serve, and we are deeply committed to equity in employment opportunities. Part of our commitment to building and maintaining a diverse workforce means that we encourage and will prioritize applications from those who have been equity-denied, including Indigenous Peoples, Black and racialized people, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+, etc.
Christie Lake Kids provides high quality nutritious and delicious meals and snacks to all children and youth who participate in our programs. The Christie Lake Kids Camp food services team will be tasked with managing this responsibility while adhering to safety standards and providing options to accommodate all allergies and dietary restrictions.
Camp cooks are members of the food services team who are responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations Christie Lake Kids Camp food services. Camp cooks will work under the direction of the Head Cook/Assistant Head Cook and the Camp Director/Assistant Camp Directors.
Camp Season Dates
- Pre-camp training: June 27th-July 1st
- Session 1: July 2nd – July 12th
- Break: July 12th– July 16th (offsite)
- Session 2: July 17th – July 27th
- Break: July 27th– July 31st (offsite)
- Session 3: August 1st– August 11th
- Post-camp wrap up: August 11th – August 12th
*Possibility of an additional contract opportunity between August 16th– August 24th. Details will be provided during the interview process.
Camp cooks live onsite for the duration of their contract (excluding offsite breaks) and will be expected to work 8-10 hours per day. Scheduled shifts will be assigned in advance by the Head Cook and could include morning shifts, split shifts or evening shifts. Morning shifts will typically begin as early as 7am and evening shifts will typically end as late as 8pm.
Duties and Responsibilities
Including but not limited to:
- Assist with the preparation and family service of all camp meals/snacks for 125+ campers/staff throughout the camp season
- Assist with food orders and deliveries
- Work alongside the Head Cook, Assistant Head Cook, Cooks and Kitchen Aid/Dishwashers
- Work evenings and weekends as required based on assigned schedule
- Maintain a professional and tidy personal appearance
- Follow food safety handler’s regulations
- Support with dishwashing responsibilities (as needed)
- Support with the stocking of serving stations, cupboards, refrigerators and other assigned areas with necessary items (as needed)
- Assist with safe storage and labelling of food as well of the disposal of food when necessary
- Support with cleaning of all kitchen areas, i.e., sweeping/mopping the kitchen area, sanitizing surfaces, taking out garbage/recycling/compost etc.
- Assist with laundering kitchen rags and uniforms (as needed)
- Carry out any other responsibilities as designated by the Head Cook/Assistant Head Cook and/or Camp Director/Assistant Camp Director.
- Work in a manner that encourages risk management
- Incorporate and strengthen collaborative and interdisciplinary teamwork
- Maintain professional working relationships with all team members
- Professionally attend to all assignments and supervisory duties
- Respect and value the diversity of individuals
- Contribute to the organization’s work by participating in meetings as necessary
- Participate in end of summer wrap-up tasks as designated by the Head Cook/Assistant Head Cook and/or Camp Director/Assistant Camp Directors
- Maintain a clean and hygienic personal cabin environment
- Fill in or support in other areas in the event that a team member is pulled away or sick
- Previous experience in a kitchen environment
- A clear Police Record Check
- Food Safe Handler Certification (strongly preferred)
- Be of excellent character, modeling honesty, integrity and respect
- Possess enthusiasm, energy, patience and a sense of humour
- Experience and/or desire to work within a kitchen environment
- Experience working in a camp/overnight camp setting
- Standard First Aid with CPR-C
The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation
Due to the nature of summer camp, candidates must be able to:
- Occasionally transport supplies/equipment up to 40 lbs
- Prolonged standing
- Fast paced/warm environment
What we provide
- Meals and accommodation during training, camp sessions and wrap up
- 1 day off per session (onsite)
- Time off (offsite):
- July 12th (after breakfast) – July 16th
- July 27th (after breakfast) – July 31st
- Transportation from Ottawa to our camp property at designated times
- Professional references, upon successful completion of summer contracts
- A unique opportunity to live and work in an outdoor setting and enjoy the amenities including canoeing, swimming, rock wall climbing, mountain biking and much more
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply via our application portal linked here. Positions will remain posted until filled, candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. The hiring team can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the process and/or positions.
Interviews for this position are expected to begin as early as February 19th. Please note that applicants may be contacted for interviews prior to this date. Applications will continue to be considered until positions are filled.
*No alcohol, marijuana or other substances are permitted onsite. Please inquire about the Christie Lake Kids Camp smoking (tobacco/vapes) policy if applicable (19+).