Camp Chef, Pathfinder
Employer: Camp Pathfinder
Position: Camp Camp Chef
Terms of Employment: Full-time / Permanent
Location: Algonquin Park, Huntsville, Ontario
Employment Address: Source Lake, Algonquin Park, Huntsville, Ontario P1H 2H1
Hours of Work: 40 hours/week
24-week duration (1 week unpaid in August for camp closure) from May 1 – October 15, 2023, based on 40-hour week – 5 days on, 2 days off
- Eligible for room and board
- Eligible for medical coverage
- Performance bonus per contract completion / overall camp financial performance
Salary: $26.06 – $31.25 CAD per hour ($1043 – $1,200 CAD per week) depending on experience
Contact: Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Camp Chef” in the email subject line.
Duties & Qualifications
Pathfinder Camp Chef
Camp Pathfinder in Algonquin Park seeks a camp chef for the 2023 camp season. The Pathfinder Chef oversees the food service program and directs the camp’s daily meal services and kitchen staff. The chef position requires prior experience in charge of a summer camp food service program.
- Acting as the Head chef and lead cook and preparing special diets per the needs of the population.
- Being responsible for the management of the day-to-day kitchen operation.
- Supervising a team with cooks, a baker, and assistants for daily meal service.
- Being responsible for planning, purchasing, and maintaining inventory for food and dry good items for food service, both in-camp and for a canoe tripping program.
- Being responsible for monitoring and controlling food costs within the annual budget determined with the Camp Director.
- Creating the camp menu in partnership with the Camp Director.
- Working with the Director and tripping directors to sustain the trip food program.
- Ensuring proper staffing for the annual program of camp sessions and special events.
- Providing necessary follow through to obtain rebates, incentives, and discounts.
- Creating/executing the training program for advancing junior kitchen staff members.
- Scheduling work hours and time off, assigning daily duties.
- Maintaining excellent health and hygiene practices and enforcing worker safety policies and best practices.
- Prior experience in charge of a summer camp food service program or equivalent.
- 3+ years’ experience lead-cooking in summer camp setting or specific equivalent.
- Extensive knowledge of menu planning, food buying and inventory control.
- Experience implementing a vegetarian and special diets alternative menu.
- Knowledge of and experience with canoe trip food, menus, and outfitting.
- Excellent communication and staff management skills.
- Secondary school completion required.
- Culinary education qualifications or certification required.
- Cuisine specialties: Canadian, Italian, Mexican, Vegetarian, special diets, etc.
- Seasonal/Full Time/Residential.
- Day/Evening/Night, Weekday/Weekend.
- A cover letter, resume, references, personal interview, and criminal background check is required for the successful candidate.