Number of Positions: Multiple
Reports To: Counselling Director
Compensation: $60.50 per day plus room and board
Location: Camp Merrywood (Perth, ON); Camp Woodeden (London, ON)
Employment Dates: Merrywood June 12, 2022 – August 30, 2022; Woodeden June 12, 2022 – July 31, 2022. Contract extension at Woodeden may be available.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for providing appropriate camper care including; bathing, showering, brushing teeth, hair care, toileting (changing incontinence pads), dressing, feeding, lifting and transferring, clean intermittent catherizations and any other activities of daily living.
- Responsible for health and safety conditions in assigned cabin. Keep cabin clean, sanitary, replace supplies when needed, and promptly report any needed repairs to the Site Manager.
- Communicate with parents/guardians about their child’s care on arrival and departure day.
- Assist the campers as needed to participate fully in the camp program.
- Promote camper independence by providing support and choice options.
- Assist in the program areas to facilitate the camp activities.
- Adhere to and support all camp policies, procedures and guidelines as detailed in the Camp Resource Manual.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Cabin Leader.
Physical Aspects of the Job
- Ability to communicate and work as a member of a team.
- Ability to observe camper behaviour and apply appropriate behaviour-management techniques, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
Minimum age: 18 years
Interest in working with children and youth. Experience working with people living with disabilities an asset, but not required. Standard First Aid/CPR certification is required prior to the start of the camping season.
- Easter Seals Ontario camps are fully accessible and provide camping experiences to kids and young adults with disabilities.
- It is required that all staff be fully vaccinated against Covid19 and follow the health and safety recommendations provided by Provincial and Regional Health Units.
- Camp staff members are required to participate fully in the camp activities. This may include swimming every day, sailing, dressing-up and working with children/youth all day.
- Should be capable of lifting and transferring 15 – 25 kgs in a safe manner.
- Onsite housing provided for camping season and meals provided on camp session days.
- June – August eight-day work period, 24 hours/day on call with scheduled breaks throughout the day and three days off between sessions.
How to Apply: Please complete our online application form, which can be found at https://www.eastersealscamps.org/staff/positions
Easter Seals Ontario welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Easter Seals Ontario fosters an environment of inclusivity, empowerment, and safety for participants and staff alike. Easter Seals Ontario is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, colour, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, physical, mental or sensory ability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws of Ontario.