C.Y.O. Outdoor Education Coordinator
The Catholic Youth Organization (C.Y.O.)’s main office is based out of Marydale Park in Mount Hope, ON. It provides programming for youth in camping, athletics, and youth ministry. The position of Outdoor Education Coordinator will be based out of C.Y.O. Camp Brébeuf located in Rockwood, ON, but will be responsible for overseeing Outdoor Education activities at both C.Y.O. facilities. These include but are not limited to:
● Outdoor Education trips and retreats at C.Y.O. Camp Brébeuf
● Outdoor Education trips and retreats at C.Y.O. Marydale Park
● Grade 3 and 5 science curriculum (H.W.C.D.S.B.) trips at C.Y.O. Marydale Park
● Outbound O.E. experiences (e.g. – bringing O.E. programs to schools who are unable to attend one of our facilities)
The C.Y.O. Outdoor Education program provides quality, year-round Outdoor Education experiences to all educational School Boards as well as private groups.
We are looking for an enthusiastic person to fill the open position on our leadership team. The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with youth, teaching experience in a camp setting, as well as the leading and development of staff teams.
Title: Outdoor Education (O.E.) Coordinator
Placement Dates: 1-year contract commencing August 2021 with opportunity to renew contract for following year.
Salary Range: $32,000-$35,000 per year, commensurate on qualifications and experience
Benefits: Room and Board, extended health, dental and vision care
Reporting to the Executive Director, the O.E. Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing the operation and delivery of the Outdoor Education and Retreat programs at C.Y.O. Camp Brébeuf.
This position also provides additional leadership to the camp offices.
During the Outdoor Education/Retreat season, the O.E. Coordinator will:
● Facilitate the hiring of staff, including seasonal and co-op students.
● Plan and lead training of all Outdoor Education staff at the beginning of each season.
● Own, manage, and maintain the relationship between the C.Y.O. and booking groups – schools, school boards, and private users
● Manage the booking of school groups and the preparation of booking contracts.
● Maintain an accurate, up-to-date booking calendar in our online booking platform
● Review the information package for groups and ensure they receive it prior to their trip.
● Gather information from schools/users groups, and work with teachers/coordinators to plan their trip.
● Schedule staff for groups each week and arrange for additional staff as needed.
● Provide feedback to staff and complete end of season assessments and Co-op evaluations.
● Assist with the development of new programs or retreat content.
● Act as an additional facilitator for groups when necessary.
● Provide occasional “on call” for outdoor education staff.
● Assist with the management of the challenge ropes course programs
● Provide virtual or in-person information sessions for school groups as needed
● Assist with the organization and delivery of community events.
● Set an appropriate example for clients and staff including: cleanliness, punctuality, dress, language, inclusiveness and attitude.
● Assist with the maintenance and upkeep of property.
During the Summer season, the O.E. Coordinator will:
● Oversee the organization and inventory of the camp tuck shop.
● Assist with opening and closing days of each session of camp.
● Answer general questions regarding summer camp.
● Provide occasional “on call” evening support.
Along with the above responsibilities all staff will actively participate and follow all health and safety procedures as outlined by the camp and the Catholic Youth Organization.
To be successful in this position you will have:
● High-energy person with the desire and ability to work in an educational, faith-based, outdoor setting with active children.
● Previous experience with children of related age groups
● Ability to accept supervision and guidance, and contribute to a positive and professional work environment.
● Have your own vehicle and hold a valid level G drivers licence and clean driving record.
● Ability to resolve customer inquiries/ complaints professionally
● Ability to make decisions independently when necessary and carry out changes or troubleshooting as required.
● Ability to supervise others, providing feedback and resolving disagreements.
● Current Standard First Aid and CPR certification.
● Be able to present a clean Vulnerable Sector Scan.
● Experience in facilitating challenge courses.
● Level 2 Challenge Course Practitioner or ability to obtain (currently holds Level 1 and enough experience to complete Level 2 course).
Beneficial Certifications or Training:
Certifications such as NLS, ORCKA levels or Instructor, HIGH FIVE or Mental Health First Aid would be considered an asset.
Current Level 2 Challenge Course Practitioner
Formal education such as completion of a diploma or degree from a relevant program such as Recreation and Leisure, Bachelor of Education etc.
Previous leadership experience leading a staff team in an Outdoor Education setting.
We invite all qualified applicants to submit their resume and cover letter to the attention of email@example.com attention Katie Moncrieffe, Camp Director.
We will contact only those applicants we wish to interview.
For more information about our camps and programs please visit www.cyo.on.ca
C.Y.O. is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate any needs under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. Please contact our camp office for assistance if required.