Job Title: Assistant Waterfront/Lifeguard
Reports to: Waterfront Director
Start Date: June 30th, 2023
End Date: August 29th, 2023
Accommodations: Cabins with campers
Position Purpose: The assistant waterfront director is to work in conjunction with the Waterfront Director in the planning, facilitation and supervision of the swimming program at Camp. They are responsible for the monitoring, supervision and evaluation of other camp lifeguards, proper equipment usage, and ensuring compliance of those within the waterfront area, to safety procedures and requirements.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for planning and implementing swimming programming for campers.
- Assist with the organization, inventorying, and maintenance of all waterfront equipment.
- Ensure that waterfront area is maintained in a safe and usable condition.
- Instruct and guard campers as necessary.
- Assist in the preparation of a full end-of-season report/manual targeting equipment and supply requests, maintenance required, staffing and program suggestions for waterfront for the next season.
- When not facilitating program area, assist cabin counsellors in the direction, supervision and organization of campers in their living environment and as they participate in all aspects of camp.
- Assure campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Know and understand camp policies, and set a good example for campers.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures.
- 17 years of age at time of employment.
- 3 years camp experience, or similar experience working with children.
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR-C.
- 2 years of experience with teaching aquatic lessons and programming.
- Current NLS certification (must have).
- Instructor Certifications.
Other Job Duties:
- Participate enthusiastically in all Camp activities, planning and leading those activities assigned.
- Participate as a member of the Camp staff team to deliver, plan and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Be an ambassador for Camp, throughout the entire period of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong situational leadership, communication and interpersonal skills including staff supervision and scheduling, team building, group dynamics, conflict resolution/mediation, crisis management.
- The ability to plan and implement appropriate activities for a varying ages, and groups.
- Understand the developmental needs of young people.
- Possess the ability to relate to youth and adults in a positive manner.