Assistant Director – Program Operations
Camp Kandalore: Assistant Director – Program Operations
544 Eglinton Ave. East; Suite # 201, Toronto (September – May);
1143 Kandalore Road, Algonquin Highlands, (June – August).
Start Date: December 1, 2021.
Reports To: Kandalore Camp Director
Direct Reports: Program Director, Special Programs Director, Activity Heads, Regional Managers and Program Staff (all seasonal)
Compensation: $46,000 – $51,000 plus benefits
About Camp Kandalore:
Founded in 1947, Camp Kandalore is one of Canada’s leading summer camps. Traditional, yet progressive, it provides the best of both canoe tripping and contemporary in-camp activities.
All campers benefit from Kandalore’s outstanding canoe tripping program, whether for an overnight or a 22-day white water river expedition. Campers get to experience up to 30 different in-camp activities, ranging from high ropes and pottery to waterskiing.
The Camp’s long-standing history has shaped its unique and deeply valued culture. Campers and staff belong to an especially warm, inclusive and accepting community, one that celebrates fun, authenticity, nature, learning, and challenge. As a consequence, campers become more resilient, independent and self-assured.
Approximately 1075 campers attend sessions for varying lengths of time, extending from one week to eight weeks, during July and August, producing an average daily enrolment of 340 campers supported by 120 staff.
Kandalore operates its Outdoor Education Centre (OEC) from September to June. Normally, it hosts approximately 4000 school aged children and their teachers per year. Depending on the season, it is supported by 10-20 staff who help participants to discover personal strengths and practice problem-solving and decision-making skills in a challenging, outdoor environment.
For more information about Camp Kandalore, please visit www.kandalore.com.
Reporting to the Camp Director, the Assistant Camp Director – Program Operations will manage all programs, activities, special events and schedules at Camp Kandalore with the goal of ensuring that campers experience all Kandalore activities in a safe environment while having fun and developing new skills.
- Oversee all program operations including activity curriculum and programming, safety procedures, equipment inventory, skill level development and special events. This includes managing the Program Director, Special Programs Director, Activity Heads and Regional Managers.
- In preparation for summer programs, develop and update lesson and risk management plans for all activities, purchase equipment and supplies for programs in line with activity budgets, maintain contact with suppliers and research new potential camp activities and equipment.
- Work with the Director on the hiring of staff including interviewing, issuing contracts and updating staff information. Organize all training and certification for staff and assist with the planning of staff week training.
- Support the Kandalore canoe tripping program by organizing and running off-season tripping events, hiring canoe trippers and ordering tripping materials.
- Support the Director Team with marketing initiatives including promoting the camp to new families, representing Kandalore at camp fairs, job fairs and information nights and managing the alumni portfolio.
- Work with the Director Team at summer’s end to review, debrief and create follow-up actions based on camper and parent surveys.
- Promote, plan and run the Kandalore March Break Ski Camp.
The Assistant Director – Program Operations will possess:
- 4 + years of camping experience in a Senior Manager role
- Experience with managing camp programming
- Outdoor wilderness tripping experience is an asset
- Strong oranizational and communication skills
- Minimum Bronze Cross required, NLS or Instructor Certification is an asset
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card
Please submit your application with references by October 15, 2021 to Janice Greenshields email: email@example.com
Camp Kandalore values the diversity of people. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodation will be provided, on request, to support candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. All responses will be handled with strict confidence.
We thank all applicants but regret that only those short-listed will be contacted.