Duration: February-September 9 (this could become a permanent position)
- February -May 20: 30-35 hours per week with the opportunity to both work from home and from the camp’s office.
- May 23-June 24: the hours will vary each week depending on the programs that are happening but would align with our summer camp staff commitments – some days will be at camp, some days you will work from home; some days you will be required to sleep and live at camp.
- June 26-September 9: ideally you will be a member of our summer camp staff team, living at camp each week from Sunday to Friday with weekends off (Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday morning).
Application Deadline: January 25, 2022
The mission of Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp and Retreat Centre is to provide a welcoming, peaceful gathering place where diverse groups of people experience life-giving connections with God, one another, and nature. Throughout the hiring process, accommodations are available on request for candidates. Please let us know how we can help you.
The Assistant Director will support the work of the camp by providing leadership and support to the development, planning and implementation of Hidden Acres programs and fundraisers as well as provide administrative support in the office.
- Motivated to make a difference and have a positive impact on our society and community.
- Has a genuine love for, and interest in, working with children, including those who have emotional, physical, behavioural, or developmental special needs, in an inclusive summer camp program.
- Has a Christian faith commitment and a willingness to identify with the Hidden Acres Mission Statement.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between following directions and taking initiative to see what needs to be done and do it.
- Is able to find a healthy balance between working hard to accomplish what needs to be done, achieve personal goals, motivate others to have fun while having fun yourself, and contribute to meeting the mission of Hidden Acres.
- Demonstrates flexibility, an ability to change tasks or directions with ease, and is willing to assist cooperatively in a variety of tasks and programs as time allows.
- Displays patience, a commitment to working well with others, and the ability to solve sometimes complex problems. This is all done while maintaining a positive attitude towards others and assigned tasks.
- Certifications in first aid/CPR, lifeguarding (NL certification or higher), climbing tower (ACCT level 1, 2, etc.), ORCKA, etc. are an asset, but not required.
- A police record check for the vulnerable sector.
- Has an understanding of group dynamics, how to manage conflict and the ability to work with campers and staff to come up with solutions that help to create community.
- Has strong communication skills for both individual conversations as well as small and large group conversations and activities.
- Has an understanding and knowledge of all areas of camp programming and operation.
- Has the ability to act as an encourager, supporter and motivator.
- Is willing to be approachable and accessible to the summer staff as a resource and support.
- An understanding of social media and website design is an asset, but is not required. Training can be provided.
- A minimum of a high school diploma is required with a certificate or degree from a college or university being preferred.
- Along with the Executive Director, plan and implement Hidden Acres sponsored retreats (Family Day Open House, Grandparent & Grandchild Days, Seniors Retreat, etc.)
- Assist with and provide leadership to our outdoor education programs with local school groups.
- Be a part of the summer camp leadership staff and assist the Executive Director with running our summer camp programs. This includes, but is not limited to, supporting the hiring of summer staff, ensuring the policies, guidelines and regulations for summer are met and filling many of the responsibilities of our Summer Assistant Program Director (job description can be found HERE)
- Assist the Executive Director in planning and implementing our annual Bowlathon, Chicken BBQ and Pie Auction and Rally for Recreation fundraisers.
Provide support to the Executive Director with grant proposals and applications.
- Support the promotion of the camp and its programs through maintaining Hidden Acres’ Facebook and Instagram accounts, website, bulletin boards/displays and representing the camp at camp fairs and events.
- Organize and format the spring newsletter
- Assist with mailings and other clerical tasks (thank you letters, answering phones, etc.)
Be available and willing to help in other areas as a member of the staff team as needed.
The Assistant Director is responsible to the Executive Director
Please email a cover letter and resume to Chris Pot at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.