YMCA Camp Kitchikewana
JOB TITLE: Assistant Director
LOCATION: YMCA Camp Kitchikewana
PLACEMENT: Seasonal (May 18th– early/mid-September)
Strong consideration will be given to candidates interested in transitioning into a full-time role at YMCA Camp Kitchikewana in September 2021.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF SIMCOE/MUSKOKA:
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka currently serves over 125,000 people in Simcoe County and the Districts of Muskoka and Parry Sound in Central Ontario. The YMCA is one of the largest charities within our service area, providing over $1.1 million annually of support and access to our programs and services.
As our Mission Statement affirms, “My Y is dedicated to the growth of all persons in spirit, mind and body, and to their sense of belonging to each other and the global community.” Our Vision for the future is “My Y inspires people to reach their full potential.”
Reporting to the Director, the Assistant Director will provide support to Camp Kitchikewana’s summer camp program (July-August). This includes, but is not limited to, supervision of managers and oversight of certain program and/or support departments. The Assistant Director will also provide leadership to any spring and fall Outdoor Education programs and rental groups. This includes, but is not limited to the development of safe, values-based programs that build assets in children, youth and families, the training and development of program staff and delivery of all aspects of the outdoor education program.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to the mission and core values of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka and the YMCA in Canada.
- Demonstrate strong support and commitment to serving the membership, facility users and all program participants of the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka.
- Ensure all spring and fall programs are delivered with high quality by Outdoor Center staff.
- Develop and deliver spring and fall staff training.
- Ensure programs are in line with the YMCA Values, YMCA Ontario Camping Quality Recommended Practices, and OPHEA guidelines.
- Develop strong relationships with new and existing Outdoor Center clients.
- Provide support to the Director during the summer camp season.
- Provide support to the Director for camper registration, staff hiring, staff training, and staff supervision.
- Post-Secondary Degree/Diploma in the recreation, education or related field.
- At least 2 seasons of prior camp supervisory experience in a senior leadership role
- Demonstrated conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills
- G driver’s license (valid)
- Standard First Aid/CPR-C
- Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC)
- The successful applicant is required to live onsite from early May to Thanksgiving weekend
- Clear Police Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Mandated training (including AODA, Workplace Violence & Harassment, Health & Safety Awareness, Child Protection, etc.) is required before or shortly after commencement of work
- OCA Camp Marine Module (camp will provide)
- Small drinking water systems operator
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- Environment: Onsite at summer Camp, works indoors and outdoors, lives on site
- Physical: May-October: Moderate to highly active work includes occasionally lifting campers, assisting with moving of luggage, food, garbage, building supplies, office supplies, putting in and taking out docks, maintenance work at camp ( digging, fixing etc.), Participating in camp activities.
October- April: limited physical activity, sitting for long periods of time, occasional lifting of boxes, files, brochures etc.
- Commitment to Organization Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the mission, vision, strategic outcomes and values of the YMCA.
- Volunteer Stewardship: Understands the important role volunteers play in our Association. Contributes to a welcoming and supportive environment for all volunteers, and demonstrates appreciation for their commitment.
- Communication: Ability to speak, write, listen and secure information in a variety of settings.
- Leadership: Ability to develop and direct performance of others to achieve desired results.
- Philanthropy: Demonstrates an understanding and appreciation of the role of Philanthropy in achieving the YMCA’s mission.
Qualified candidates who wish to be considered are invited to apply on the YMCA Careers site linked below. Please include a resume and cover letter.
Applications will remain open until April 23rd, 2021
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources department.