YMCA Camp Henry
Position: Assistant Director, YMCA Camp Henry
Location: YMCA Camp Henry (June-September)
Contract Dates: June-September 2021
YMCA Camp Henry is a seasonal summer camp and outdoor center located in Point Pelee National Park near Leamington, Ontario. Since 2017, Camp Henry has offered a variety of programs for children and youth ages 5-16 during the summer, including four and five night overnight camps, day camps, and family camp programs. Point Pelee National Park has many beautiful attractions that inspire children and youth. Our camp offers water- based activities like swimming, kayaking and canoeing and our land-based activities include archery, biking, crafts, games, exploring nature and day trips. All of our activities are designed to support the development of spirit, mind and body for all of our campers. YMCA Camp Henry also operates during the spring and fall seasons as an Outdoor Center, offering a variety of programs for schools, youth, families and private groups. Annually, Camp Henry hosts approximately 300 participants throughout the summer camp programs.
The Assistant Director works along with the Camp Director to ensure smooth flow of the overall operations at camp. This individual is responsible for ensuring all campers, families and participants receive high quality experiences that reflect the YMCA core values, mission and the YMCA’s Camping Quality Recommended Practices. The Assistant Director is responsible for directly supervising the Section Heads and establishing a camper-focused attitude amongst the team. The Assistant Director and Camp Director will work together to ensure organization and smooth program delivery, as well as establish and maintain a camp culture that is inclusive, safe, positive and fun.
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Ensure the delivery of high-quality participant experiences that promote and reflect the YMCA core values and mission statement
- Onsite leadership to the daily operation of camp during the entire operating season
- Assist in training, supporting, and supervising the staff team throughout the entire operating season
- Ongoing risk management and crisis response following YMCA procedures
- Ensure excellence in all aspects of programming through active involvement in programs, team support and ongoing staff and program development
- Maintain high level of camper care and safety at YMCA Camp Henry
- Maintain strong internal and external relationships valuable to the ongoing success of camp
- Communicating with participant families and participants via phone, email, website, print materials, and social media
- In the absence of the Camp Director, act as designate in managing all aspects of Camp Henry operations
Other Job Details:
This is a seasonal position and the successful candidate is required to live on site at YMCA Camp Henry in rustic accommodations from late June until the end of August while camp is in operation. This position will be expected to work Sunday mornings until Friday evenings each week. In the lead up to camp and also following the summer, this position may be required to work remotely or in our London office for a short period of time.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Experience working with children, youth, and adults in a camp or outdoor education environment
- Previous experience managing and supervising staff in a camp or outdoor education environment (minimum 2 years)
- Exceptional communication skills, relationship-building skills, and organizational skills
- Valid CPR C/Standard First Aid
- G Class Drivers License
- National Lifeguard (preferred)
- Current clear Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening as per current YMCA Human Resource policy
- Developing Others
- Self Development
- Emotional Maturity
- Stewardship of Brand Culture
- Quality Results
- Project Management
- Decision Making
To Apply: Submit resume, cover letter and application form to Nancy Knyf, General Manager of Overnight Camping at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. Deadline for application is April 21, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.