Job Title: Assistant Director
Location: Elmwood, Ontario – Between Hanover and Durham, Ontario
Dates of Employment: June 19th, 2022 – August 27th, 2022 (flexibility given to school end dates)
Salary: $6,120 plus room & board
Since 1971, Camp McGovern has been faithful to the original vision of providing underprivileged children and youth with the opportunity to go to overnight camp. At Camp McGovern we serve approximately 75 kids a week – all of whom are referred through Children’s Aid, United Way Agencies or Big Brothers Big Sisters. We are situated on 120 acres located along the beautiful Saugeen River, near Hanover, Ontario.
Our team of staff and volunteers put on an array of activities throughout the week including: Arts & Crafts, Nature Programs, River Rides, High/Low Ropes, Archery, Swimming, Canoeing, Campfires, Games and more. Camp McGovern is a welcoming, safe environment where Campers and Staff come from all walks of life and experiences. We value friendships, we foster leadership and we hold a shared passion for having FUN.
If you want to make an impactful difference while utilizing your experiences, education, leadership and skills, then this may be the perfect fit for you!
Camp McGovern is a registered charity seeking an Assistant Director for our summer camp operations. We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate who has a big heart, a positive attitude and a desire to be a leader in the camp community.
The Assistant Director is a member of the Leadership Staff Team and will assist the Camp Director in the overall administration of operations, including registration management, staff supervision and upholding Camp McGovern’s policies, guidelines and standards to ensure a fun and safe experience for campers and staff. The Assistant Director will help to lead and support the development, planning, and implementation of Camp McGovern’s programs and events while providing office administrative services. We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate who can serve as a leader at camp and set a great example for staff and campers. The Assistant Director will be mentoring staff to best serve our vulnerable campers.We are looking for someone with strong interpersonal skills and experience working at camp or other youth outreach programs.
- Work collaboratively in overseeing all aspects of our summer camping sessions, including pre-camp planning, registration, staff training, program implementation and camper evaluations.
- Provide leadership and support for the staff to ensure program goals are met.
- Ensure the health and safety of campers, staff and guests.
- Assist in effectively completing the training of summer staff so that camp policies, guidelines and all applicable legislation are complied with.
- Demonstrate adaptability, flexibility and creativity in dealing with numerous requests for assistance that may range from program delivery to administrative tasks.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident/accident reports, camp documentation and weekly attendance.
- Plan, organize, lead and participate in camp program activities which include, hiking, canoeing, swimming, games, archery, nature, and more.
- Maintain open lines of communication, and support staff and campers by fostering an atmosphere where they feel free to ask questions, bring forward concerns and seek guidance.
- Show an understanding and support for youth from all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, including those who have experienced unstable households, victims of abuse, or who suffer from mental health concerns.
- Know and understand all emergency procedures associated with the camp program. In the absence of the Camp Director, the Assistant Director must be able to execute emergency procedures as outlined in the Emergency Operations Plan.
- Achieve a healthy balance between following instructions, taking initiative, meeting personal goals and motivating others while remaining true to the mission of Camp McGovern.
Make use of the camp’s social media platforms and methods of communication to promote camper accomplishments, weekly sessions, and general camp publicity.
Our ideal Assistant Director:
- Fosters self-esteem, social skills, and respect for others.
- Uncovers potential for personal growth in campers.
- Nurtures mentoring, teamwork, and leadership development.
- Is a positive and conscientious professional who, in collaboration with the rest of the camp staff, ensures a safe and fun experience for our campers.
- Possesses excellent communication skills (both oral and written) and ability to manage conflict in a calm, professional manner.
- Has strong interpersonal skills, including patience and communication
- Is empathetic to the diverse group of campers that we serve.
- Is safety driven in everything they do.
- Provides comfort and support when someone needs it.
- Communicates well and seeks help when needed.
- Is organized and keeps accurate records.
- Leads by example.
- Understands the importance of camper confidentiality, but knows when a disclosure is required (training provided).
- Is resourceful and creative when it comes to camp activities.
- Has experience working with people of diverse backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or disability.
- At least 19 years of age
- Valid First Aid/CPR-C
- A satisfactory Police Records Check – including the Vulnerable Sector Screening (dated within 3 months of employment)
- Certifications in Lifeguarding, Challenge Courses, Canoe/Tripping, etc. are considered an asset, but not required.
- Education or experience in camp, youth programs, recreation, early childhood education, education programs working with children, support work, working with children with identified special needs, outdoor education, forest school or related fields.
- Previous work experience (ideally in a leadership role) in the summer camp industry.