Arts Program Leader
POSITION: ARTS PROGRAM LEADER
REPORTING TO: ART & MUSIC SUPERVISOR
JOB TYPE: FIXED TERM CONTRACT, NON – BARGAINING (SEASONAL)
POSTED DATE: FEBRUARY 10, 2022
APPLICATION DEADLINE: UNTIL FILLED
EXPECTED START DATE: JUNE 20TH, 2022
CONTRACT END DATE: AUGUST 22ND, 2022
Camp Towhee/Towhee Summer Therapeutic Program treats youth with Mental Health issues complicated by
Learning Disabilities. Located in Haliburton, Ontario, Towhee positively changes the trajectory of kids and staffs
lives. This will be one of the most rewarding, magical and hardest places you will ever work. We provide 10 days
of training covering behaviour management, counselling skills, CPI, mental health and learning disabilities.
If you are interested in a career in the social services, psychology or teaching and/or want to play a pivotal role
in supporting children and youth in feeling safe enough to be their genuine amazing selves – Towhee is the
place for you to get real experience, skill building, and be part of that change. Towhee is operated by the LDMH
(Learning Disabilities and Mental Health) Stream of CDI, a year-round children’s Mental Health Centre in
CDI is seeking an Arts Program Leader, to join our dynamic Camp Towhee team. The successful candidate
should be a relationship builder and team player, with a passion for understanding and supporting
children/youth, a willingness to learn about the social/emotional impacts of mental health and learning
disabilities, and a passion for helping campers to define and experience success. The candidate should also
have personal/professional experience in art and program facilitation, including the ability to help teach some
basic art skills and create and run art based activities that support group and personal development. The Art
Program Leader will report directly to the Art, Music, and Camp-Wide Programs Supervisor. Additional
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plan, coordinate and facilitate effective and intentional high quality programs that are designed to
meet specific learning objectives and skill development themes
2. Maintain an organized and clean program space
3. Function as a member of the Arts/Music and larger programs team by supporting peers with their
programming and initiatives
4. Assist in other areas of the camp by providing direct support and supervision of campers during meal
times, evening programs, bedtime routines and night supervision
5. Work as part of the overall staff team by participating in the planning and implementation of special,
camp-wide theme programs and activities
6. Adhere to and interpret to other staff and campers the policies, practices and procedures of Camp
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
▪ Two or more years in a post-secondary degree or equivalent experience.
▪ Standard First Aid with CPR C
▪ Experience working with children and/or youth, preferably our population
▪ Personal, professional, or educational experiences in a related field
▪ Previous professional experience working in a camp environment (strongly preferred)
▪ Experience facilitating programming using art and artistic tools, particularly with a therapeutic lens
▪ Experience with and interest in a variety of artistic tools
▪ Ability to teach some basic art techniques is preferred.
▪ Fast-paced work environment.
▪ Interacts with campers, other staff, supervisors/directors, family members, and visitors as required.
▪ As needed requirement to lift children (up to 45 lbs.), in addition to bending, stooping, stretching,
squatting, pushing, pulling, sitting, walking, and climbing stairs
▪ Possibility of participation in a canoe trip, involving paddling, portaging, hiking, swimming, carrying
equipment, and sleeping in tents.
▪ Noise level can be moderate to loud.
▪ Frequent physical activity including sitting, standing, walking, running, lifting and generally supporting
campers and staff in camp activities and games.
COMPENSATION: Towhee offers competitive camp salaries, which include room/board, and are subject to
applicant qualifications and previous experience
Please complete the Online Application located at (https://www.childdevelop.ca/towhee/staff/staff-application/)
AND submit your chronological resume via e-mail to:
Child Development Institute
E-mail: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you in advance for your interest. However, due to the volume of resumes received, only those candidates selected for
interviews will be contacted.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION:
Child Development Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value inclusivity & diversity in the workplace. We
actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including, but not
▪ First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples;
▪ members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion and/or spiritual
beliefs, or place of origin;
▪ persons with visible and/or invisible (physical and/or mental) disabilities; and
▪ persons of marginalized sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.
We recognize that many of these identities intersect and that therefore, equity, diversity and inclusion can be complex. We
value the contributions that each person brings, and are committed to ensuring full and equal participation for all in our
Child Development Institute is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. In accordance with the
Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC). Child
Development Institute will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment & selection process to applicants with
disabilities. During any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources of the nature of any
accommodation(s) you may require. Any information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed
All applicants are advised that offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Vulnerable Sector
Note: All CDI employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of hire in accordance with CDI Mandatory