Aquatics Director (Lifeguard)
Job Title: Aquatics Director
Location: Elmwood, Ontario – Between Hanover and Durham, Ontario
Dates of Employment: June 26th, 2022 – August 28, 2022 (Potential June 19th start date)
Salary: $6480 plus room & board.
Since 1971, Camp McGovern has been faithful to the original vision of providing underprivileged children and youth with the opportunity to go to overnight camp. At Camp McGovern we serve approximately 75 kids a week – all of whom are referred through Children’s Aid, United Way Agencies or Big Brothers Big Sisters. We are situated on 120 acres located along the beautiful Saugeen River, near Hanover, Ontario.
Our team of staff and volunteers put on an array of activities throughout the week including: Arts & Crafts, Nature Programs, River Rides, High/Low Ropes, Archery, Swimming, Canoeing, Campfires, Games and more. Camp McGovern is a welcoming, safe environment where Campers and Staff come from all walks of life and experiences. We value friendships, we foster leadership and we hold a shared passion for having FUN.
If you want to make an impactful difference while utilizing your experiences, education, leadership and skills, then this may be the perfect fit for you!
Camp McGovern is a registered charity seeking an Aquatics Director for our summer camp operations. We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate who has a big heart, a positive attitude and a desire to be a leader in the camp community.
Camp McGovern’s Aquatics Director will oversee all safety on our waterfronts, including the river that runs through our property and our pond. Our waterfront has various activities including swimming, canoeing, tubing, fishing and water exploration. The Aquatics Director needs to be safety-oriented, as well as able to effectively communicate with the entire camp staff including counsellors and other lifeguards. The Aquatics Director reports to the Program Director and will supervise all other lifeguards. This position will plan activities, coordinate equipment and supplies and maintain waterfront safety standards. The Aquatics Director will be responsible for examining how well the waterfront activities meet the camp’s mission, vision and program objectives.
- Perform lifeguarding duties at camp.
- Lead in the organizing and setting up of the waterfronts prior to the start of camp with a focus on ensuring that waterfront policies and procedures meet the required OCA standards.
- Ensure all safety policies and procedures are adhered to while being a positive presence at all times.
- Oversee camper swim requirements based on their skill level.
- Coordinate and facilitate camp free swim and polar bear dip which happens on a daily basis.
- Aid in developing and leading sessions on waterfront safety with all staff during training week.
- Manage rotational lifeguard schedules to ensure all waterfront programs have an appropriate level of supervision.
- Assume a lead role in crisis management/emergency response.
- Build positive relationships with campers and staff to ensure a safe and enjoyable camp experience.
- Document camper accomplishments on our waterfronts.
- Attend canoe trips down the Saugeen River, ensuring the safety of all paddlers.
- Facilitate team building activities for campers, and modify programs for campers with limitations.
- Conduct daily checks of all waterfront safety equipment, along with first aid supplies.
- Ensure that the waterfront area is kept tidy and safe, and report any deficiencies.
- Participate in camp special events, cabin supervision, and other camp duties as required.
Our ideal Aquatics Director:
- Fosters self-esteem, social skills, and respect for others.
- Uncovers potential for personal growth in campers.
- Nurtures mentoring, teamwork, and leadership development.
- Is a positive and conscientious professional who, in collaboration with the rest of the camp staff, ensures a safe and fun experience for our campers.
- Has strong interpersonal skills, including patience and communication
- Is empathetic to the diverse group of campers that we serve.
- Is safety driven in everything they do.
- Provides comfort and support when someone needs it.
- Communicates well and seeks help when needed.
- Is organized and keeps accurate records.
- Is able to oversee a staff of two lifeguards.
- Understands the importance of camper confidentiality, but knows when a disclosure is required (training provided).
- Is resourceful and creative when it comes to waterfront activities.
- Is able to take initiative to create activities on the spot.
- Has experience working with people of diverse backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or disability.
- At least 19 years of age.
- Valid First Aid/CPR-C.
- A satisfactory Police Records Check – including the Vulnerable Sector Screening (dated within 3 months of employment).
- Current National Lifeguard Qualification (NL or NLS) (NL Waterfront ideal but not necessary)
- Certifications in Challenge Courses, Canoe/Tripping, Wilderness First Aid etc. are considered an asset, but not required.
- Experience in camp settings, youth programs, recreation, supporting children with special needs, outdoor education, forest school or related fields would be considered an asset.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this competition please complete the application HERE
Camp McGovern is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and provides accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. Should you require an accommodation please advise the HR Committee at email@example.com. All accommodations will be handled confidentially.