Aquatics Director (Head Staff)
Welcome to The Ivy!
Nestled in beautiful Lytton Park, The Ivy offers children ages 4-14 an enriching and intentional summer experience. The cornerstone of our summer camp is traditional, but the depth of our program is far from ordinary. Our staff provide campers with the foundation for building skills, character and self-esteem. As a member of our Leadership Team, you will build unbreakable bonds with both campers and co-staff, develop essential leadership skills and have a summer experience like none other.
The Ivy is currently recruiting for the position of Aquatics Director (Head Staff)
The Aquatic Director oversees the delivery of The Ivy’s swim program, including the training and delivery of our instructional and recreational swim program. The Aquatics Director assists in coordinating the administration, planning, organization, and operation of our Aquatic program. The Aquatics Director is an effective and strong Head Staff team member whose contributions assist in the achievement of the camp’s overall objectives.
As an Aquatics Director, you will:
- Assist in coordinating the administration, planning, organization, and operation of The Ivy’s aquatic programs.
- Oversee the delivery of lifeguarding and instructional services.
- Communicate regularly with parents prior to the season and during the summer months.
- Provide strategic directives to and supervision of lifeguards, supervision of lifeguards/instructors both on and off the deck.
- Ensure the facility and programs are properly staffed.
- Ensure that all staff are qualified and trained in emergency procedures and skills required of their position.
- Ensure the facility is appropriately equipped to deliver aquatic programs.
- Ensure compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and all other relevant legislation, policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the facility/programs are operating optimally and report all concerns to Camp Directors.
- Monitor the performance of all aquatic staff.
- Perform lifeguarding and program instruction services for all staff members.
- Attend and participate in daily head staff meetings and training sessions.
- Coordinate the implementation of staff training and ensure records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Conduct monthly in-service training on emergency procedures for aquatics staff.
- Perform administrative tasks to support program delivery (i.e. staff schedules and class lists, pool logs, pool updates, incident reports and report cards).
- Ensure report cards are completed accurately and on time throughout the summer.
- Prepare staff performance evaluations. Provide effective and regular feedback to staff.
- Work together with the deck supervisor to ensure that all rules and regulations are followed by all staff and campers.
- Ensure the security, integrity and completeness of all records.
- Encourage a harmonious working relationship amongst all Ivy Staff and Havergal pool employees.
- Create a warm, welcoming environment for all staff and campers.
- Assist in achieving corporate excellence through information provision, problem solving and teamwork.
- Offer staff support and strategies so that campers can be as successful as possible.
- Provide minor first aid to campers and staff at the pool.
- Facilitate deep and shallow end tests.
- Current Lifesaving / Red Cross Swim Instructor Certification
- Current National Lifeguard Certification
- Current SFA with CPR-C
- Minimum completion of year one of a post secondary education
- Minimum 3 years of work experience as a lifeguard and swim instructor including the monitoring and supervision of pool staff
- Past camp experience is considered a strong asset
Required Skills and Abilities:
The following skills are required to represent The Ivy and maintain its prestige and image as well as to provide direction and leadership within.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and organizational skills with the ability to manage change and direct multiple staff members.
- Excellent networking and interpersonal skills to interact with Head Staff, Staff members of The Ivy and of Havergal College, along with parents of our community.
- Excellent problem solving, decision making, and negotiation skills in a complex environment.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent attendance record.
- Excellent computer skills with the capacity to promptly learn new computer software programs relevant to the proper management of the department.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work in order to meet deadlines.
- Networking Opportunities
- Work directly with Senior Leadership Team and Camp Directors
- Professional Development and Conference Opportunities
- Personalized reference letters upon request (written individually and tailored to the program/future job you are applying for)
- Free hot lunches!
- Competitive Leadership Team Salary
We invite all qualified candidates to submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than January 3, 2022. We would like to thank all applicants in advance for your interest; however only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.
The Ivy Day Camp is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate the diversity of our camp community including differences in race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity. We welcome candidates representing such diversity.
Please note: The Ivy Day Camp adheres to the Core Values of the Ontario Camps Association:
Integrity – Demonstrating honesty and fairness at all times.
Respect – Recognizing and protecting the inherent worth of every person, including oneself.
Responsibility – Being dependable and accountable for choices, actions and commitments.
Inclusiveness – Fostering a sense of belonging for all.
Caring – Building relationships and demonstrating concern for the needs of others.
Openness – Ability and willingness to embrace new and different ideas and to be open to change.