Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Location: Elmwood, Ontario – Between Hanover and Durham, Ontario
Dates of Employment: June 19th, 2022 – August 28, 2022 (Part-Time or Full-time available)
Salary: $5400 plus room and board. (*Local candidates are not required to live on-site during the summer*)
Since 1971, Camp McGovern has been faithful to the original vision of providing underprivileged children and youth with the opportunity to go to overnight camp. At Camp McGovern we serve approximately 75 kids a week – all of whom are referred through Children’s Aid, United Way Agencies or Big Brothers Big Sisters. We are situated on 120 acres located along the beautiful Saugeen River, near Hanover, Ontario.
Our team of staff and volunteers put on an array of activities throughout the week including: Arts & Crafts, Nature Programs, River Rides, High/Low Ropes, Archery, Swimming, Canoeing, Campfires, Games and more. Camp McGovern is a welcoming, safe environment where Campers and Staff come from all walks of life and experiences. We value friendships, we foster leadership and we hold a shared passion for having FUN.
If you want to make an impactful difference while utilizing your experiences, education, leadership and skills, then this may be the perfect fit for you!
Camp McGovern is a registered charity seeking an Administrative Assistant for our summer camp operations. We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate who has a big heart, a positive attitude and a desire to be a leader in the camp community.
The Camp Administrator is a significant role that necessitates interaction with agencies, families, staff and visitors. The Camp Administrator is the face of the office and works collaboratively with members of the Leadership Team to ensure smooth operations throughout the summer. They assist in the registration process as well as respond to questions and concerns from parents/agencies as they arise throughout the summer. The Camp Administrator supports the team by maintaining accurate and up-to-date records, answering phones and emails, preparing weekly activity schedules for staff, printing reports as needed, maintaining camp documents, preparing and coordinating camper invoices and payments. As a result of summer camp’s changing nature, the Administrative Assistant may be tasked with additional responsibilities as the Director sees fit.
- Support families through the online registration process and with funding.
- Respond in a timely manner to all parent questions via email or phone calls related to their child’s stay at camp by utilizing agency manuals, forms, contracts and other necessary information.
- Aid in matching campers with cabin groups ensuring that campers with special needs are suited with the appropriate staff.
- Work collaboratively with the Program Director and Director in booking programs with external sites and vendors.
- Schedule transportation to and from camp and local events, as well as liaise with camp, families, and local bussing company to ensure that campers get to camp safely.
- Track incoming snail mail and email.
- Utilize CampBrain registration software for camper registrations, staff documentation, camper medical forms and any other pertinent information.
- Produce weekly camper reports (medical/important information) for cabin counsellors, program and health care staff.
- Liaise with partner agencies to confirm campers, transportation, invoices and payments, and to discuss modifications and accommodations.
- Oversee the purchase of program supplies and work with program staff to ensure that all approved purchase orders are fulfilled.
- Maintain information privacy and protect confidentiality of all files/folders, documents and other information stored electronically or in hard copy.
- Offer suggestions to improve the work environment based on observations and feedback.
- Work with the Counselling Director to coordinate weekly camper evaluations and oversee full completion by staff.
- Oversee the camp’s social media platforms and update as required.
- Assist in leading training sessions and preparing training documentation.
- Handle communications and coordination with program vendors and inspectors.
- Ensure that the office is kept tidy, safe, and that all equipment is maintained and in good condition. If something breaks, needs repairing or doesn’t work correctly, it will be up to the Administrative Assistant to notify the Director and help seek the appropriate solution.
- Assume a lead role in crisis management/emergency response.
- Build positive relationships with campers and staff to ensure a safe and enjoyable camp experience.
- Participate in camp special events, cabin supervision, and other camp duties as required.
Our ideal Administrative Assistant:
- Fosters self-esteem, social skills, and respect for others.
- Uncovers potential for personal growth in campers.
- Nurtures mentoring, teamwork, and leadership development.
- Is a positive and conscientious professional who, in collaboration with the rest of the camp staff, ensures a safe and fun experience for our campers.
- Has strong interpersonal skills, including patience and communication
- Is empathetic to the diverse group of campers that we serve.
- Provides comfort and support when someone needs it.
- Is organized and keeps accurate records.
- Understands the importance of camper confidentiality, but knows when a disclosure is required (training provided).
- Communicates effectively with staff, families, agencies and members of the public.
- Is able to solve problems effectively, dealing with the unexpected calmly and having an open-mind about new ideas.
- Can relate well with people, including both children and adults while remaining professional at all times.
- Is flexible with their daily schedule.
- Is able to work well in a team environment.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Valid First Aid/CPR-C.
- A satisfactory Police Records Check – including the Vulnerable Sector Screening (dated within 3 months of employment).
- Proficient with computers and able to learn and adapt to new software programs.
- Experience in camp settings, youth programs, recreation, supporting children with special needs, outdoor education, forest school or related fields would be considered an asset.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this competition please complete an application HERE
Camp McGovern is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and provides accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. Should you require an accommodation please advise the HR Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. All accommodations will be handled confidentially.