WHO WE ARE
Camp Ouareau is an all-girl’s* summer camp in Notre-Dame-de-la-Merci, Québec with a unique language program that
gives campers the chance to connect with others in their second language. Just north of
Montréal, Ouareau is nestled between the Lanaudière mountains, the ideal place to practice
your French (or English!), make new friends, to work on leadership skills, and to be a part of
an empowering team of women*, all while taking advantage of Camp Ouareau’s lakeside
*Our work environment aims to create an inclusive space for gender minorities, whilst remaining predominantly an all-girls camp.
Camp Ouareau is looking for an enthusiastic individual to be an activity head this summer, who has a genuine interest in supporting campers ages 8-16 in their exploration of a variety of outdoor activities and programs. As an activity head, you will develop excellent communication and leadership skills and have a chance to create a positive, empowering, and impactful experience for all ages.
Ouareau is the place for you if:
– You love spending your summers outdoors, helping campers disconnect from technology and experience the beautiful Laurentian mountains.
– You want to contribute to a team that prioritizes building a positive community of self-growth and self-expression.
– You thrive in the energetic and fast-paced environment of taking care of campers, planning programs, and running activities.
– You want to gain experience in critical thinking, communication, complex problem-solving, crisis management, and childcare.
– You are keen to work within our bilingual program, giving both French & English speakers opportunities to improve their second language
At Ouareau, all of our activity heads are also camp counselors. You will be responsible for caring for and supporting a group of eight to twelve campers together with another staff member. you will be responsible for waking campers up, helping them get ready for the day, looking after them in the evenings and supervising bedtime routines. During the day, you will lead up to 4 activity periods per day (with the support of other staff members of course). You will also organize camp-wide games and programs, and have the option of leading canoe or hiking trips.
- Survival (wilderness skills like making fires, building shelters, orienteering, plant identification, etc)
- Multisports (our all-sport activity… you choose what you and the campers will play!)
- Production (set and prop creation for our plays throughout the summer)
- Canoe (NLS certification required)
- Sailing (NLS certification required)
- Windsurf (NLS certification required)
- Previous experience working with children in any capacity (education, nannying, previous camps, sports, etc) is an asset
- Bilingual or professional working proficiency in both French and English
- Must be 18 years or older by June 23, 2024
- First Aid & CPR Certified or willing to get certified
- NLS Qualification (for waterfront activities)
CONTRACT DETAILS AND COMPENSATION
- June 6 to August 18, 2024
- Two (2) days off during staff training and eight (8) throughout the summer, which includes midcamp break from noon on Friday July 19th to 4pm on Sunday July 21st
- Staff live in cabins with other 3-7 other staff members
- Base compensation for a full summer contract is $6,742 + room and board. Increases based on experience and qualifications.